Summer Vegan Zucchini Bread

When I think of summer, one thing I remember is growing zucchinis in our backyard, and getting more than an abundance of them for us to handle…and literally handing them out to everyone we saw. Well, my lovely cousin I’ve been visiting handed some HUGE zucchinis to me last weekend…or they may be squashes, idk, but they are huge and ready to be used!

Zucchini

I am moving out in about 6 days and am trying hard to use up all the ingredients for baking that I have on hand; it’ll help to be one less thing to lug down to my new place with Whit!  So, in an effort to use up the zucchini and with my love for quick breads, I decided to try a zucchini bread recipe I had yet to try!

Vegan Zucchini Bread

I know many of you are not vegan, but if you want a great vegan cookbook and animal rights advocate to follow, you need to look up Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.  I have been listening to her podcast on iTunes for years and it never ceases to make me think and reassure me about my decision to become vegan at the beginning of this year. She has an abundance of cookbooks and other books out on the market, many of which I own, but my favorite is The Joy of Vegan Baking.  I have heard people rave about her zucchini bread recipe so I figured this was the perfect time to try it out!  I modified the recipe a little bit but here it what I came up with!

Vegan Zucchini Bread

2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmet
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 C organic chopped walnuts
1/2 C organic raisins

Directions:

1.Preheat the oven to 325*F. Grease two loaf pans generously and set aside.

2.  Combine ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl, set aside.  Grate zucchini and set aside too.

3. In a large bowl, combine oil, applesauce, sugar, vanilla and grated zucchini. When the flaxeed/water mixture is thick, add to zucchini mixture.

4. In the same bowl, add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until combined.

5. Add in chopped walnuts and raisins, making sure not to over mix the ingredients.

6. Split between the two loaf pans and bake for 60-70 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and serve with some Earth Balance butter or hey, even peanut butter if you want!

*You can also make 4 mini loaves or 24 muffins from this mix.

Vegan Zucchini Bread

Let me know what you think! I must say, I am a fan…and have enough zucchini to feed an army so there is an abundance of these loaves in my kitchen right now!

This entry was posted in Home, Recipes, Vegan, Vegan Zucchini Bread and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Summer Vegan Zucchini Bread

1. Kim says:

I looove zucchini bread. I will definitely try this recipe.

To be honest, though, Colleen actually turned me OFF from veganism. I’d listen to her podcasts and she’d talk about surrounding herself with only other vegans, people who thought just like her and didn’t rock the delicate little version of the world she lives in. I thought that was so *weird* and self-righteous and could not identify with it at all. That’s just me, though. I’ve been a vegetarian for 2/3 of my life but she still turned me off.

Anyway, not trying to detract from your experience (or anyone else’s) – I just always think it’s interesting how differently things speak to people.

• Mica says:

I agree; that’s how I felt listening to her podcasts. She would say things that made me think she was out of touch with reality. (I got the impression that a lot of her lifestyle was based on having a certain amount of money and working from home, which are two luxuries not everyone has.)

Still, the zucchini bread looks solid! I haven’t tried any of her recipes, so I will check them out.

• Melissa says:

I agree with you and Kim. She is a bit over the top with all the things she talks about, but I guess I take a lot of things at face value and just try to take what she talks about that I’ve thought about in a different light (that was one horribly long run on sentence). She definitely has a different lifestyle and I think that plays a huge roll in how she is and what she talks about.

• Melissa says:

I must admit, she is a tad bit too hard core for me, but many of the things she talks about makes me think about why I have chosen to become vegan. I don’t go around talking to people about being vegan like she does but I think she has some good points.

2. Erica says:

Sounds and looks SO good! You must be super excited for your move

3. This looks wonderful and perfect since our garden is overflowing with zucchini now!

4. Trish says:

Loved this recipe! It made 24 yummy muffins–just the right texture and moist but not gummy! Thanks!

5. Peggy says:

Just found your blog when I googled vegan zucchini bread recipes. Right now I’m gonna make the bread but I’ll be reading more from your blog later!

6. Peggy says:

What do you use to grease your pans when you bake?

7. cookstory says:

Awesome recipe, thanks! I doubled it and made 2 dozen absolutely delicious and moist muffins and one large loaf (now frozen) with one huge zucchini plucked from the garden the same day. I didn’t have applesauce, so I mashed 2 bananas instead. I also mixed in 1/4 C cocoa powder to the last quarter of the batter to make some chocolate zucchini muffins (inspired by this recipe: http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/chocolate-zucchini-muffins/). I’m not vegan, but served my vegan colleague and 7 other non-vegans at this morning’s weekly meeting – they were devoured with ‘yums’ by all.

• Melissa says:

I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed them! Good thinking on the bananas to replace the applesauce and I’ll have to try adding in the cocoa powder to make them chocolate for next time! Goodness knows I have a ton of zucchini!