So, I don’t know if you heard, but last Saturday was National Brownie Day. I knew there had to be a reason I had been craving brownies for days, so what better an excuse to make some. I tried getting some vegan brownie bite things from Whole Foods last week, but they just didn’t cut it. They were raw and nothing like your normal brownie. Yuck. Well, ok, they were pretty tasty but just not real brownies.
If you’re like me, you like fudgy brownies. I LOVE the crunchy top and edges that a pan of brownies get and with big chunks of walnuts in there, I could probably eat the whole pan. Why not? So, I busted out some of my vegan cookbooks and decided to try the recipe out of The Joy of Vegan Baking. I changed a few things like the amount of sugar, no salt, dark chocolate cocoa, and extra walnuts…and although it didn’t come out as fudgy as I would have liked, they were still rich and tasty with the aid of the dark chocolate cocoa I used. Oh yeah…dark chocolate brownies. DARK CHOCOLATE!
Recipe Wednesday: Dark Chocolate Vegan Walnut Brownies
Adapted from The Joy of Vegan Baking
- 1 1/3 C granulated sugar
- ¾ C unsweetened applesauce
- 2 T water
- 2 T vanilla
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ C water
- 1 1/3 C all purpose flour
- ¾ C dark chocolate cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 C chocolate chips
- 1 C chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350*F and grease a 8×8 baking pan.
- In a bowl, stir together sugar, applesauce, 2 T water and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the ½ C water and 2 T flaxseed. Set aside and let sit for several minutes.
- After the flaxseed water mix thickens, add to applesauce mixture.
- Add flour, cocoa, and baking powder to the applesauce mixture until just combined.
- Chop up the walnuts and add into the bowl, along with the chocolate chips.
Pour into the pan and bake for 40 minutes, or less if you want a fudgier brownie. Remove and let cool, or serve hot with some ice cream for an a la mode brownie!
Anything you’d like to see next weekend for Recipe Wednesday?! I’m up for suggestions!