If there is one nut that I’ve neglected over the years but have come to love having gone to Hawaii a few times in the past two years, is how much I like macadamia nuts! I always used to be scared of them because they seemed so fatty, but when they’re baked or roasted, they’re too hard to pass up!
So when Oh Nuts! offered to send me two things from their site to use in a recipe I couldn’t say no! I immediately went for the macadamia nuts and the dried cherries, a serious obsession of mine whenever I make my way to Trader Joe’s.
Today I simply chopped some of both products up and added them to the Banana Bread recipe that I live off of out of Veganomicon. This time I added some whole wheat flour, which worked out well since I didn’t use just that, but also all purpose flour. They came out great! The family and Whit have gobbled most of them up and I only made them this morning!
Vegan Macadamia Nut Cherry Banana Bread
Adapted from Veganomicon
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ C unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ C canola oil
- 1/3 C sugar
- 2 T molasses
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ C chopped dried cherries
- ½ C chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9×5 inch bread pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the mashed banana, applesauce, oil, sugar, and molasses.
- Add in the all the dry ingredients including the all purpose flour, wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Stir until just combined and do not overmix
- Chop up the dried cherries, then macadamia nuts and add into the bread mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove when a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool and serve.