Recipe Wednesday: Vegan Banana Walnut Chocolate Bread
Oops! I’m a day late! But don’t worry, I made sure to have a recipe for you!
We’ve had some bananas hanging around and getting quite soft, so of course banana bread was the answer to their use! I’ve been going through my cookbooks since I’ve been home and most recently stumbled upon my favorite since I first started baking over 10 years ago: Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book!
Not your typical vegan cookbook, err, or vegan at all, but with a few changes they are easily made vegan! Here is the original recipe from the book:
Oops, can’t read it? Don’t worry, I’ll give you the vegan version!
Vegan Banana Walnut Chocolate Bread
2 C Whole Wheat All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 T ground flaxseed + 6 T water
1 1/2 C mashed banana (about 4-5)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C brown sugar, compacted
1/3 C olive oil
1/2 C chopped walnuts
3/4 C dark chocolate pieces
1. Set oven to 350* F. In a small dish, mix flaxseed and water, set aside.
2. Grease the bottom of a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
3. Mash bananas and add in vanilla, brown sugar, oil and flaxseed/water mixture. Add banana mixture to dry ingredients, mix until combined.
4. Chop up walnuts and add, with chocolate chips, to the batter. Stir until combined.
5. Spoon batter into prepared pan and baking for 55-65 min, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted. Place on wire rack to cool and enjoy!
You know I enjoyed a big piece of this while it was hot! (Sorry, only have instagram picture. Btw, are you following me?! Typical username: tryingtoheal)
Have a great day!