Here or There?

Hey everyone.  Again, apologies for the disappearance but my blogging mojo is just absolutely gone, so coming up with anything to write about lately has been, well, a challenge.  Nothing right now is too interesting because it’s the same thing everyday: get up early, drive, eat, search for bird nests, eat, drive, nap/workout, eat, bed!  Doesn’t that just sound exciting?!  I know you’re just engrossed in my overwhelming schedule.

Anyhow, I thought I would talk about some things for the future.  Lots of different things have been on my mind as far as what I’m going to be doing for field work in the fall.  There are so many bird opportunities out there that I’m hope to be allowed to partake in and explore!  I have been sweeping the job boards and looking are various jobs to see what’s been available and of greatest interest to me.  Here are a few:

Red-backed or Superb Fairywrens in Australia: Now how fun does that sound?  First off, I am totally down to going back to Australia and working in the environment there again.  There is nothing I love more than visiting various types of ecosystems on different continents and the opposite hemisphere!  But of course the biggest perk is just that it’s in Australia and I remember seeing the little Fairywrens when I was there previously and loving them!

(Birdwatching with friends in Australia, Spring 2006)

Hummingbirds in Peru: This one is tugging at my heart the hardest.  It’s super competitive to get any of these jobs, but even more so when they’re limited to only hiring one person.  I am going to try my hardest when I apply for this one because I can’t even begin to describe how excited I would be to work with tropical hummingbirds vs. the ones I’ve handled in the U.S.  And of course it’s Peru; when would I ever go to Peru!?  Ok, the thought has always been there but there is always my safety to consider…

Hawks in the West: I have blogged about a Hawk Watch in Southern Texas at Smith Point that I did back in the fall of 2009 where I counted thousands and thousands of hawks over the course of a few months and it is certainly a site to see.  You all know how much I love hawks and would love to work with them, so this job is definitely something to consider!

Now let me just clarify that these are jobs that I think look interesting; I haven’t even applied yet!  I will be in the near future and of course will let you know if I get accepted to any of them.  I’m excited to see what happens and how the end of the year pans out! It’s been a while since I’ve gone anywhere exotic so I’m kind of hoping for that (ok, I have gone to Hawaii, but that’s not work; that’s play!).

I know not many of my readers have the same kind of lifestyle as me but I would love to hear about what everyone else does for work!  Or what you wish you were doing for work…hehe!

This entry was posted in Field Work and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Here or There?

1. Kim says:

Wow, these all sound like amazing experiences!! I wish you the best of luck!

I work as a behavioral therapist for kids who have autism. It’s demanding, but I like what I do. If I could, though, I’d probably work on a horse farm. I am a simple gal. :)

2. Joy says:

I think my dream job would be as either a yoga instructor or a nature photographer, don’t they both sound great?

All of your ideas sound amazing though good luck

3. Maggie says:

Hey lookit! I’m on your blog! :) All of those job opportunities sound really wonderful for different reasons. You can’t really go wrong with fairy wrens, hummingbirds or hawks. Although if you end up in Texas, I might come visit you…

I work for the Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory, and run all of the Nebraska panhandle education programs. I really like my job, but I miss field work and research…I don’t think I’m cut out for full-time education. That’s what I loved about my internship with SFS…I had a good mix of teaching and research/field work. (I’m trying to figure out how to combine the two in my current job).

4. Amy Lauren says:

I wrote a blog series about what I do for work and such awhile back (it’s on my blog, just search Technical Writing). Basically, I write instruction manuals, emails, letters, training guides, and other documents to help people learn how to use computer software. It’s software for churches, schools, and organizations to track data. It’s a pretty sweet gig, I like it.

But, I love reading about your job too- even if your life is a little boring right now. It’s pretty clear you love what you do, and that’s super important but also great at the same time (so many people don’t bc they have whatever job they could get after college).

5. Mandy says:

I think you would love Peru. I went there two summers ago and fell in love. I want to go back so badly and I couldn’t even imagine getting to live there for work!

6. Amy says:

Of course I am totally biased and want you to come to Australia so I can meet you in person :) However I think searching for hummingbirds in Peru sounds like a fantasy job that would come along once in a lifetime and would be well worth pursuing!
    I work in healthy lifestyle research on two different research trials. I am the telephone counsellor who is in contact with breast cancer survivors and diabetes patients. I love my job, however I am back at uni studying writing, editing and publishing. My dream for that? I love the idea of getting into the publishing industry – seeing someone’s creation from the kernel of an idea to the birth of a book would be pretty awesome work!

I hear ya with blogging! I stopped writing as often b/c I do the same things every day. Just not interesting after a while, right? All those jobs sound really neat. The hummingbirds would be so cool!

8. Biz says:

Love all the possibilities ahead of you Mel!

I am a legal secretary by day, loving cooking in my kitchen at night and on weekends – dream would be to own my own food truck! :D