Flare Up

Oh man, the past few days have been pretty brutal on the eating front.  It all started Wednesday night when I made a tofu scramble for Whit and I for dinner.

I followed much of the recipe that Evan posted the other night, except added in a few extra spices and vegetables like leeks and butternut squash.  I added in a few scrambled eggs per Whit’s request and served it up with some TJ’s brown rice.  I thought it was a great meal!

But by mid day the next day, my insides were fighting back and wow, it’s been a while since I’ve felt that miserable!  I do not have a specific diagnosis yet for my stomach/digestive ailments but with my Dad having Crohn’s Disease and my Mom having Colitis, I figure I’m somewhere in the middle…So after an informative call with my Dad about all the foods I should avoid while this is happening, I was left with very few options.

(PB Flour, banana, blueberry, spinach and almond milk smoothie with cheerios)

Lets just say it’s been a very smoothie, peanut butter and bread/cereal heavy few days…but I’m slowly getting better so heck, who cares.  I just want to feel normal again!  On top of taking it easy on the food front and by walking only for work (no boot camps or workouts), I’ve been chilling out on the couch and trying to keep from going crazy (I was supposed to visit my family and look for a rare bird, but that go nixed; sad times).  It’s not a very easy task when you get your Google reader all the way down to ZERO.  That never happens, lol.

I did venture out of the house today and purchase a new book, The Lady of the Rivers by Phillipa Gregory, which I’m excited to dig into.  Oh, and dreaming about how I’m going to use up all the greens in my box without getting sick…roughage is one thing to avoid when your having a flare up like I am.

(Broccoli, stir-fry greens, red leaf lettuce, collard greens, cauliflower, mache, thyme, spinach, garlic greens, kiwis, lemons, oranges and potatoes)

Oh, and since I’ve got some time on my hand, I’m taking the time to do some active release exercises on my sciatic nerve/piriformis muscle and ice ice ice!  Thank goodness for ace bandages to hold the ice pack in place!  It always falls off if I don’t use it!

(Hahaha…I felt like a mummy)

Have a great Sunday!  I’ll be…still chill’n out on the couch but then getting to see Whit after he comes back from surfing!  Yay!  What are you plans for tomorrow?!

This entry was posted in Abundant Harvest, Digestive problems, Green Smoothie. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Flare Up

1. Kim says:

Oh, I LOVED Lady of the Rivers… but I am a historical fiction nerd, especially women’s stories. Now I’m reading the rest of her books as well. They’re amazing. I hope you like it.

• Melissa says:

I am loving the book so far and have read all her other books in the series, along with…all of them! I have the entire Wildacre Trilogy to start after I finish this one too!

2. Amy says:

Sorry to hear that your tummy is acting up :( When I was at university one of my dietetics professors was on an allergy elimination diet which only allowed her to eat white rice, pears, chokos and white fish. No thanks!
    I hope your tummy gets better soon. Whenever mine is playing up I’m on a diet of corn thins, peanut butter and vegemite. I saw Lady of the Rivers in the bookstore the other day, let me know how it turns out!

3. Oh no sorry about your tummy troubles. I have awful gi tract problems too, so I feel you. I hope you get better soon!
    I love historical fiction–will be looking into Lady of the Rivers.

• Melissa says:

If you love historical fiction you will LOVE all of Phillipa Gregory’s books! She does an absolutely AWESOME job sucking you in!

4. I’m sorry to hear about the stomach troubles, but hope that everything is on the mend. Thinking of you often!

I can’t believe I haven’t checked out Philippa Gregory before. Excited to hear what you think of this latest book – and going to look at her website now!

5. i really really really hope you are feeling better hun! i know how miserable it can be to feel so sick and not know what it is or how exactly to make it better! i am glad you got a good book to keep you company. I love all her others so you will have to let me know how it is! i am currently reading the Lost Wife and LOVE it!

6. Anna Crouch says:

Have you tried taking digestive enzymes? I’m not sure exactly what your pain is like, but for a long time I was having really bad bloating and gas (TMI?? lol) and my naturopathic doc gave me digestive enzymes…I take 2 capsules 5 mins before every meal and they have helped SO much! And it’s not something you do forever, just for like a few weeks-1 months.

• Melissa says:

I have taken digestive enzymes before (pancreaze) and as it worked for a while, my doctor didn’t want me to stay on it forever. So I finished the round (3x a day) and let it see what happened after that. It was fine for a while and then I had this flare up. It could be a coincidence that it happened after I finished the round but who knows. My stomach can’t make up it’s mind; EVER!

7. Kara says:

I hope you can figure out how to make your GI system happy again!

8. hey–what exercises are you doing for your piriformis? mine has been bugging me lately too! i’ve started doing my hip strengthening moves from physical therapy again and trying to stretch/foam roller but i’m wondering if you’re doing anything different!