Whoa, 6 days until Christmas? Where did the time go…because I still don’t have all my shopping done. Add in the fact that not only do I have to Christmas shop, but I also have three family birthdays coming up including my mom’s on New Year’s Eve and my younger twin brother’s on the 6th! And I’m not one of thoe that gives the person a combined Christmas and Birthday present, that’s just no fun!
Anyways, I thought I would talk about my Holiday Traditions today! I know we all have different ones, so I’d love to hear about them! Here are some of mine!
1. The holidays are all about baking. Since I was a little girl, my Mom would get together with my aunts and grandma to bake different cookies and pack them together for other family and friends!
Since I’ve grown up, moved away and my grandma is gone we don’t get together like that anymore but I still give out cookies to my friends when I can!
2. The Christmas Angel. My mom, err, the Christmas Angel, has been giving me a new set of PJ’s every Christmas Eve since I can recall. They used to be handmade, but the past few years I’ve started to notice tags..lol. Still something fun to get the night before!
3. Christmas Eve with Dad’s family. Every year we travel to a Great Aunt or cousin’s house to see all of Dad’s side of the family. We have the typical dinner together, where I will always be designated to the children’s table (even the cousin that’s married and has a child sits there! haha!) but now we can drink, so it’s a little more fun. Haha.
When we were really young, or until we were about 20, we all had to get in front of the family and open up a gift in front of the whole family. I have never been a fan of it, but now I have a bunch of younger second cousins so they get to be embarrassed instead of all us post college graduates. Thanks goodness!
4. Christmas Day Schedule! When I was a kid we used to wake up way too early to get my parents to let us open our gifts. Now we have a tendency to sleep in and take our time, but the order of festivities is always the same. First, we get to dump out our stockings and see what “Santa” brought, then attack the kitchen for breakfast, which always includes Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls (though this year I’m going to try these!). Oh, and my brothers always have a contest to see who can eat the Ding-Dong in their stocking the fastest. Pretty funny, since I video tape it too.
After we’re all full, my Dad sets up the video camera, passes out all the presents to each of us, and all the kids open theirs first! We talk to the camera to the people who have given us our gifts too…usually saying something to embarrass ourselves. My Dad then opens all his gifts and my Mom goes after him; best for last, right? The rest of the day is spent visiting my neighbor Grandma and her family who comes over for Christmas breakfast, and playing with our new toys, or now a days electronics and stuff. Oh how times change.
5. New Years Eve and Day! This is a combined celebration for our family since it’s my Mom’s birthday! She likes to think everyone is celebrating her birthday, and we go along with it…bringing cake, presents and drinks, since it is New Year’s Eve of course! We
try to stay up until midnight and then crash immediately afterwards to get up the next morning for our Japanese New Year celebration at my Mom’s brother’s house! We eat all the traditional Japanese foods and do that side of the family’s Christmas gift exchanges. We talk and hang out before heading home to start the New Year off on the right foot!
So tell me about your holiday traditions!!!