In The Season: Fresh Green Beans

You all know I get a weekly box of ORGANIC and LOCAL vegetables and fruit as part of my list of the things I want in 2011.  It’s been going very well and I’ve been pleased with all the goodies which are coming in them but my problem has been, HOW TO USE THEM.

pics 004

Over the past few weeks I’ve been getting a large bunch of green beans.  Growing up the only green beans I ever had were frozen and nuked…so what was I supposed to do with fresh ones?  Blasphemy!  Ok, not, but you know…

So I set out to look at my ginormous stack of Vegetarian/Vegan Cookbooks (this is no where near all of them…I’ve kept a bunch at my parent’s place) and finally found something I could potentially use…potentially being the key word.

cbook 001

I actually found several recipes for green beans in all my books and decided to use a mix of them for the side dish I brought to the 4th of July BBQ I went to!

Asian Style Green Beans

pics 003

Ingredients:

• 1 lb fresh green beans
  • 1.5 T sesame seed oil
  • 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 3-5 T low sodium soy sauce
  • 1.25 C low sodium vegetable broth

Directions:

1. Select a large skillet with top because you are going to need room for all the green beans.  Set aside with the sesame seed oil but don’t heat yet.
  2. Dice up the garlic and onion and add to the sesame seed oil in the skillet.  Turn on the heat to LOW and cook the onion and garlic through until translucent.
  3. In the mean time, clean the green beans thoroughly and break off all the ends off the beans.
  4. Add the soy sauce and vegetable broth to the onion and garlic, mixing well, then add in the green beans.  Coat the beans with the mixture already in the skillet and cover.
  5. Let the green beans sit and steam in the skillet for up to 10 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want them.  Remove from heat and plate!
  6. Eat with some rice and a protein and you’ll be good to go!

I know I know…the onions look like bacon.  And when most people like to have bacon with their green beans…maybe you can trick them with this recipe.  They’ll never even miss the bacon…I promise.

pics 002

Let me know if you try it!

Any suggestions for some of the other stuff in my box, like LAVENDER, STEVIA, RADISHES and POTATOES!??!?!

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to In The Season: Fresh Green Beans

1. Beth says:

I made a pizza with my radishes because I was getting sick of having them in salads. I was getting 2 bunches a week! The pizza had caramelized onions, arugula, and gruyere along with the radishes. ( http://boston2berkeley.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/csa-special-radish-pizza-with-caramelized-onions-arugula-and-gruyere/ ) It was a nice change up from eating them raw! I have no idea what to do with lavender though!

2. NancyU says:

I like the idea of adding the onion on top! It gives it a finished look, and adds good flavor!

3. Joanna says:

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing! That's so simple but I'm sure it has so much flavor. I have all of those ingredients on hand so I'll definitely try it out!

As for your other ingredients… All I can think of is Lavender cookies and potato risotto! I have a recipe for the risotto on my blog :)

4. Anna Crouch says:

Honestly, I just coat fresh green beans in olive oil, sprinkle them with salt, pepper and garlic powder, and roast them in the oven at 400 until they're SLIGHTLY starting to crisp on the outside. Super simple, just insanely yummy.

5. Magdalena says:

Lavender you can use in flavoring of muffins or scones, you could make a simple syrup out of it, or you could put it into a little sachet and stick it in your sock drawer. :) Potatoes…ooo..potatoes and green beans! I have another salad recipe to send you that works hot or cold. Ok…off to find it and email it.

6. Kaitlin With Honey says:

I totally thought those onions WERE bacon and I was like, "What is going on?!?" Whew. That would have been a surprise. :)

7. divinelykatherine says:

Stevia in tea = amazing!

8. Heather says:

I love green beans!

I have the same problem with my CSA share sometimes – especially when I start to get corn. You have to get creative with all your veggies.

Thanks for posting this recipe – it looks delicious!

9. Biz says:

I did think that was bacon!! I am not a fan of onions, but the beans look great.

I love rosemary potatoes – you can do them in the oven in foil – just dice up some potatoes, add a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper and chopped fresh rosemary.

Depending on how small your potatoe pieces are, you should be able to cook them in about 30 minutes at 400, or until fork tender.

I usually do these on the grill too :D

10. Clare says:

That's my biggest hesitation with getting a CSA – how to use the weird veggies!

And I SERIOUSLY want to do that half marathon now if it means you'll come run it with me. I'll let you know!

11. Natalie says:

i recently made a similar green bean recipe and it was soooo good!

my friend and i are going to a lavender farm on sat…maybe i'll learn about some good recipes :)

12. Christine (The Raw Project) says:

Great recipe, thanks! I love green beans and this recipe looks like a simple and tasty way to celebrate them. :-)

The stevia is great to dehydrate or throw fresh into smoothies. Radishes are great just sliced in salads or dipped whole into hummus. For the potatoes, slice into wedges, toss with a little olive oil, salt, and nutritional yeast, then roast for 40 minutes – yum!

13. Jessica @ The Process of Healing says:

YUM! My favorite way to eat green beans is roasted.. sounds weird but SO good!

14. Anonymous says:

Make a little sachet and fill it with the lavender and put it under your pillow. Lavender is really popular in aromatherapy for its soothing, relaxing effects. I find that keeping a sachet under my pillow helps me fall asleep at night… and it makes my bedroom feel like a spa :)

15. Amanda says:

We went 3 weeks without a produce pick up! So sad. I'm excited to finally pick some up this week. Those green beans look delicious!

16. Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) says:

Totally bake with the lavender, or maybe make an iced tea with it? I hear roasted or sauteed radishes are great, or you can just add them to salads. I love that you get produce delivery – I would love to get into a CSA program here. Perhaps when I get back out of my parents' house…