Weekend Smeekend

Oh boy.  Man, spring and into summer is one of the busiest times for a field technician!  I have been going for far too many days in a row that I’m really in need of a break…thank goodness this weekend I get three days off! Woot woot!!!

But, even though I had to work on Sunday, it didn’t really feel like it…because I was out hiking part of the Pacific Crest Trail for work.  What could be better than that for work?

06262011044

It was absolutely breathtaking!  I can’t wait to do it again…next week!

06262011045

I hiked in from the other side of that mountain (pictured below) somewhere…it’s basically over three miles away from where the picture is taken!!!

06262011047

And although it was fun to be out there working in the wilderness, I was scared to begazzles that I was going to come across a bear.  I even thought I had at one point when I heard something crashing in the bushes.  I ran back about 50ft and ducked into the bush to watch whatever this big creature was come out of the brush…and it was a COW.  Gosh, my heart has never beat so fast!

06262011048

The weekend was full of good foods…and I am glad for it.  I have been in such a sandwich/food rut that I’m well…getting sick of them…and trying to come up with some great salads and stuff to take out in the field! I do have a small cooler to keep things cold a bit but it’s kinda hard…because half the time I forget a fork.  Dangit!

pics 001pics 003pics 004

This meal was probably one of the best meals of the weekend…well, those enchiladas were pretty good.  Anyhow, I have been craving PIZZA like no other mother.  I’ve been putting it off because well, pizza without cheese just doesn’t compare and since I finally tried out the Daiya cheese on the enchilada’s I had to try it on pizza.

pics 002

Shizzam!  I’m stoked that this stuff tastes so good and gives the pizza a real pizza feel. I topped mine with marinara, squash, artichoke, basil, spinach, meatless meatballs and Daiya cheese.  Bahhh…I want it again!  It had a tad too much salt in it though…because I was feeling it today.  Blah.

Alas, I had that great hike on Sunday that was 6.5 miles long and on top of that a great 4 mile run today with my running buddy and 2 miles of hiking for work!!!  I’m loving the endorphins!

So, I need some awesome combos for sustainable non-sandwich lunches!!!  (Mags, send those recipes you mentioned my way, k?  Thanks!)  I’m open to anything that doesn’t have dairy since I can’t have any!!!  I’m ready to try some new things too!  It’s just a matter of finding it in my dinky town…hahaha!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekend Smeekend

1. Jenn (eating bender) says:

That pizza is making my mouth water at 11:00 at night! All of your pictures are gorgeous. The color and the lighting just scream summer. :o) So glad you enjoyed yourself while working…it makes me smile that you love your job! You know me and work happiness, haha…

2. Joanna says:

That hiking trail looks similar to the one I went to in Claremont! And that one even had a cow pasture out there! Weird place for cows! lol

I feel you on the sandwich issue. I was in a whole lunch rut at work this spring. My fav filling sandwhich is hummus and a whole bunch of veggies like tomatoes, spinach, cucumbers, and whatever else you like!

3. Kirsty says:

I envy your work outside, what a fab office :)Snap on the food rut….need some inspiration.

4. Linda says:

I am back….glad to see you read my note and that it helped a little. Also very happy to "see" that you are feeling a bit better. I think that a lot of women are really hard on themselves and beat themselves up. As Caitlin from Healthy Tipping POint would say, negative self talk and self sabotage just make us feel bad about ourselves. I honestly read your blog and I can't see anywhere that you need to improve….so keep on being nice to yourself and telling yourself how fantastic you are doing. Keep smiling!

5. freya says:

Ohmygosh, the bear story!! That must've been so scary! Though I'd risk bear attack to hike through those beautiful mountains for work :-)

I like taking pancakes or socca muffins with me for easy lunches (that don't need a fork). I use a basic 1/2 c. flour (ususally a mix of gram and wholewheat), 1/2 c. soya milk, then add in flax or grated parsnip, curry powder etc etc. For the muffins, I do 1/2 c. gram flour (chickpea flour), 1/2 c. plus extra as needed, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and about 1/2 c. grated courgette, then bake in two ramekins. SO good!! You can add whatever mix-ins to them too :)

6. Gabriela says:

I feel like I've been crazy out of the commenting loop lately so…hi!!

I think I seriously would have had a heart attack if I'd been in that bear situation!! Fortunately cows are nice, though. I wouldn't have had the foresight to duck into a bush, either!

7. brandi says:

those views! So gorgeous :)

lunch ideas?

I love making grain salads on the weekends. Quinoa, wheatberries, couscous, or bulgur (or a mix!). mixed with veggies, fruit, nuts, plus olive oil, seasonings, etc.

delicious cold, warm or room temperature.

8. kceverymileamemory says:

Um yum!! I heart pizza but I am not GF and non-dairy too big of a pain :/ I am sooo jealous of your job somedays! I want a job out so badly and there just aren't that many. Such gorgeous scenery :)

9. mymarblerye says:

is that "cheese" really that good???? Time to go back to work for me! bah

10. Erica says:

SO beautiful! That cow would have scared the life out of me too :) The pizza looks fantastic. I've heard so many good things about Daiya cheese, I must try it!

11. Magdalena says:

Recipes coming your way shortly.

12. Christine (The Raw Project) says:

Gorgeous pics, jealous of your "work". :-) Too funny on the cow, it's probably do the same.

For sandwich alternatives, I like fun finger foods like grilled tempeh and tofu sticks, veggies to dip in hummus and other new sauces. Oh, and tons of fruit. :-)

13. Biz says:

I love all your scenery pics!! I am going to have to put my thinking cap on things you can eat out on the field – I am an office worker so always have a fridge!

14. Katie says:

I would try egg sandwiches! I like adding cheese, jam, and spinach. I know you can't eat cheese, but the jam and spinach would still be great! Maybe try egg with veggie sausage! Lots of protein! And, breakfast for lunch is good too!

15. fittingitallin says:

1. I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever!
    2. Pizza looks AMAZING – I love Daiya!
    3. I've been loving pitas lately for lunch – chop a whole wheat one in half and fill with veggies, hummus, beans, …anything! I wrap them in tin foil and take to work.

16. Marissa says:

You always sound so much happier when you're busy! I guess we're alike in that manner; the more we're out and about and keeping busy, the easier everything becomes!

17. Jessica @ The Process of Healing says:

That pizza looks GOOD! And good luck with the lunches! I'm bad at thinking up creative lunches. How about a bowl of some sort of grain and veggies?

You sure have a beautiful "office"! :) And a cow…how random, but SO much better than a bear!!