The Lessons I Learn

[[Side Notes: The Lessons I Learn

1. If I don’t eat a calorie enough dense breakfast, the rest of the day is shot…in the effect that I will never feel satisfied or full.

pics 001

(Not enough calories for moi)

2. Eating your snack at 8.30am after having your lighter than needed breakfast at 6.30am does not mean you are breaking any rules. It means you are hungry and listening to your body.

pics 015

pics 001

3. Even if you feel guilty for having that snack so soon after breakfast do not feel guilty and ignore your hunger at lunch. Eat what you brought and stop when you’re full.

pics 004

4. An always pack lunches with lots of protein.  It will be worth your while. I had 1/2 an avocado and lots of hummus.

pics 005

5. If you want something salty, even though you try and stay away from it, have it because it might mean you neeeeeeed it.  Being out in desert = dehydration = losing salt through sweat.  Problem solved.

6. Trail mix is the most portable and effective snack for the field.  Nothing beats peanuts and raisins.  It will keep you full for hours.

7. Or not, sometimes.  Today would be that case.  Don’t let that you “feel like you’ve eaten too much today and not done enough exercise” mentality get to you and eat if you’re hungry.  You may have favored the rice cakes instead of something else because of the ED thoughts, but at least there’s more PROTEIN. Chocolate PB all the way.

pics 008

8. Don’t have a freak out when you realize you’re going to have to eat dinner out after the day you’ve had and eats you’ve eaten.  This day WILL NOT KILL YOU.

9. If I’m stressed, I do yoga.  And even though it makes me realize more flaws about my body than I like to think about, all at the same time it makes me realize how strong my body is.  Running is one thing, yoga is a whole other thing.  I owned it.

10. Order what you want, what you like and don’t restrict at the restaurant.  There is no shame in getting what you want, no matter what the arena, especially food.

11. If you feel like having some dessert, like a handful of chocolate chips when you get home after your dinner out, DO IT. Otherwise, the thought will stay in your head until you do and at that point you’ll go overboard.

12. Relax your anxiety nerves by watching your cat throw around her toy and chase after it for almost an hour.  It’s almost as entertaining as stand up comedy. Almost.

pics 009pics 010

13.  Guilt will get you no where.  Friend will be there if you need the support to get around it.  Thank goodness  I have you. ]]

This entry was posted in Side Notes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The Lessons I Learn

1. seekingrecoveryandbliss says:

I wish I would order what I really want when I go to restaurants. Thats one thing I can never seem to let myself do.

2. Anonymous says:

This was a truly inspiring post. Guilt and wrong thoughts concerning 'when should I eat'instead of just eating when I'm hungry are things I still struggle with every single day.
    Thank you. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

3. Megan D says:

Perfect perfect perfect words. Oh my goodness I am a huge biotch the whole day if I don't have a BIG filling breakfast! Sometimes I think the calories I eat in breakfast are what many people eat with breakfast and lunch combined. But who cares because my body is different and needs a huge breakfast! NO GUILT! :)

4. Jasmine says:

Thank you for this amazing post! That was great. I don't see how anyone can find you anything but encouraging and inspiring (in terms of recovery) when these are the types of posts you write. That definitely helped me start my day off on the right foot :) Hope your day is off to a great start too!

5. Dev da Rosie says:

I absolutely love this post. It's just what I needed to reconfirm everything I've been working towards . Thank you so much, I truly mean it.

6. Anonymous says:

This is exactly what I have trouble with. I wake up early, eat breakfast, and in two hours I want lunch!! (If not right after the breakfast.) I end up skipping dinner often and eating way to little later in the day.

This was very inspiring.

I'm going out in the field for 4 days. It's okay to bring caloric foods. My body needs it. It's okay to snack often. It's okay to bring chips. They won't kill me. I'll need the salt!

Thank youu!!

7. Rebecca says:

This is all so true! I've only been in recovery for a little over a month and It's very encouraging, inspiring and I agree with all of it (though I still ignore the 8:30 hunger and wait until my 10am snack).

8. eliz@thesweetlife says:

That chocolate PB looks so delicious!

9. Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) says:

Great post! I, too, struggle with feeling guilty if I eat a snack or meal earlier than I think I "should". But I've noticed that the more I eat earlier in the day, the more satisfied I am at night!

10. Jenny says:

Lovely post.

Guilt can be such a destructive feeling, and just so harmful overall.

Truly inspiring points. One thing I've had to re-learn is that it's perfectly okay to eat "processed" foods once in a while. A scoop of ice cream is not going to put me on my deathbed, necessarily – especially since I don't do it every day…

The human body is wonderful. If we just listen closely, it's usually unlikely that we supposedly "mess up". Even if we do "mess up" 'cause we ignored it, it forgives us in the end.

I used to freak out about finding out that I was going to be eating out for dinner on a day when I'd already eaten a lot (and had a lighter dinner planned). This post makes me feel better, just knowing that I'm not alone in that… and that it's okay to eat well when you do go out for that dinner! Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

11. Megan says:

Love this post!! No one should ever feel guilty for being hungry or craving something unhealthy. We have to honor our bodies so it will work properly for us! :)

12. Abby says:

Great post. I so agree with all of these! The day I finally ordered what I really wanted at a restaurant again was one of the best days ever. And having recently reintroduced another snack I'm learning again how feeding myself when I'm hungry makes me feel better the rest the day.

13. fittingitallin says:

All 100% true and things i've learned the hard way!

14. Katy (The Singing Runner) says:

This is truly an inspiring post. I still struggle with a lot of guilt and regret. I will ignore hunger pains if I had eaten only an hour or two before. I still take way too long ordering at restaurants because I am mentally accessing how many calories are in the meal.

But reading posts like this gives me hope and encouragement. I have come so far in a year, but I know that I still have more room to grow. One day at a time! :)

15. divinelyvegan says:

Love this post!

16. Anonymous says:

I can 100% identify with this post. Too often I let my anxiety about food issues get the best of me. Thank you for this.

17. Anonymous says:

Thanks for this post. It is really inspiring!

18. Kirsty says:

Fantastic post! How did you know what goes on in my head??!! Thanks you for writing these kind and wise words! I hope I can live up to them.

19. Jessica @ The Process of Healing says:

I think we have pretty much the same mine. Wow. Those thoughts go through my head all. the. time. The important thing? Listen to your body. The end :)
    Love ya!

What a great post, Melissa! SO many great tidbits of advice….

21. Bex says:

Wow! What a fantastic coincidence. I ate a "light" breakfast today- 6oz Greek yogurt with an apple and a couple strawberries. I then went out for a 40 minute walk with my dog and was thinking the whole time in my head, "I think I need to eat more at breakfast… I'm hungry… Fooooood…"
    I got home and was trying to decide whether or not to snack, when I stumbled upon your amazing post. I'm now happily munching on some carrots and almonds, waiting for my chicken to cook!