Time to Burn

Oh man, it has been one hell of a week.  Not being able to run was like a punch to the gut and really, for the past 7 days I’ve been living up the personal pity party.  I was even feeling that way this morning when I left for the field but then realized, “What good is feeling sorry for yourself, sitting around moping and eating like crap going to do for the training you’ve already worked for?!”

Snapped me the hell out of it.  Well, that was the start.  Then I devoted myself to having an awesome workout tonight that wasn’t running: elliptical and cycling.  Now, I have been telling myself the past week that I hated these things because they were oh so boring and well, not running, so I had no motivation to do them.  But this morning I found a good cycling and elliptical workout from a magazine and had it ready to go when I got home…after a nap or course. Haha…I was tired alright?!

Anyhow, the day didn’t start off as great as I had hoped since well, I was still tired and in a funk.  But I fueled with a great breakfast!  Soy yogurt, pb powder, strawberries, Kashi Honey Sunshine and Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice – Gluten Free Cereal from Attune.

pics 002

Ok, it’s a little beige looking…but good!  At least I had some strawberries to spice up the color!

Alas, out the door I went.  It was windy as heck today and I had to actually hunch down for most of my surveys because if I stood up, I was going to get blown over and tossed off cliffs.  Yeah, not really what I want.

pics 003

Being tired didn’t’ help either, and of course I couldn’t nap, so I had to use food to keep me awake.  I know, bad me, but it had to be done.  Throughout the morning I had pre-sliced strawberries and a piece of boysenberry chocolate chip bread before finally having lunch a few hours later.

pics 006

I’ve wanted lots of crunch lately so I went for carrots and cucumber dipped in hummus and a side of TJ’s version of Wheat Thins.  Hit the spot.

I came home and had a few pieces of dried mango before uh, falling asleep on the floor trying to read some stuff.  Was pretty funny really, waking up on the carpeted floor in the middle of the afternoon with my cat staring right into my face when I opened my eyes.  I scared the crap out of her when she found me looking at her though.  Oh cat.  Btw, did I tell you guys Honey turned ONE last week!!!????!!!!

CA2010 012

pics 027

Oh how times change…hahaha.  She was so tiny in the first picture!!! Where did my little kitten go!?  It’s ok, she’s just as feisty now as the day I brought her home.

Anyhow, then I headed off to the gym and did my cycling workout (15 miles) and some elliptical (~2 miles, that was even too long for me..truthfully, I got bored).  Then it was home to make the most nutrient dense dinner I could make!

pics 007

My salad beast consisted of: Fake meat crumbles, onion, bell pepper, asparagus, mushrooms, cucumber and cherry tomatoes.  The lettuce and spinach are all from my produce box as those heads of lettuce are HUGE!  I chopped up a bunch of pieces and mixed them all off, topped with the veggies and for some spice, salsa.  Dang it was spicy, or I’m just a wimp.  It’s probably the later.  Haha.

I had to have an orange to cool off my poor tongue.

Now, book and bed.  I’ve still got a long week ahead of me!  And what is keeping me going!??!?!?!

12 DAYS TO KAUAI!!!!!!!!!!!

13 Responses to Time to Burn

1. Celia says:

I'm so happy you're visiting Hawaii (my home state)! Too bad it sounds like you'll be on Kauai for the whole trip – I'm on Oahu and would love to meet you. (I've e-mailed you in the past a few times and can not only relate to you, but I also find you quite inspiring. :) )

2. Megan D says:

Aw I know how you must be feeling- this time last year I got a stress fracture and couldn't run and was SO bummed. But then I just got really into spin classes! So exciting your trip is only 12 days away!! Way to look on the bright side :)

3. beyondbananas says:

KauaI! sooo beautiful there!! Have you ever been! Ahh you are making me miss my trip to Hawaii soo much right now. I also visited Maui while I was there.. a week in each. Have so much fun!!

4. eliz@thesweetlife says:

So sorry it's been a rough week—hope things look up soon!

5. Gabriela says:

Awwww happy birthday to Honey!! I wish kittens never grew up, haha. Hang in there girl- you've only got a little time left until your big trip!

6. fittingitallin says:

So glad you found ways to get in your workouts even when it's not running! I actually enjoy my days off running when I can try something new like spinning or elliptical!

7. Ryan@Aloha Appetite says:

Yay for coming to Hawai'i! Boo for it not being my island! Haha. You are going to looove Kauai. It is my favorite place ever.

8. Erica says:

Not being able to run is totalllly annoying. Does your gym have any classes or anything you could take to mix it up? I still haven't tried Kashi Honey Sunshine- I must pick up a box, I know I would love it. And your dinner salad looks pretty darn good to me. Salsa makes the best dressing. happy birthday to honey! And Hawaii? I =majorly jealous ;)

9. Katy (The Singing Runner) says:

Hang in there girl! The injury monster is AWFUL, but you will overcome it! I know how emotional it can be- it is filled with ups and downs, but I have faith you will be getting better ASAP! :D

You were so positive for me during my injury recovery and I hope that I can do the same for you!

10. Natalie says:

keep your chin up…this injury is only for a season! i've been there and i know how frustrating it is but you'll be bouncing back soon!

11. runnergal says:

I know how frustrating injury can be. I was out from running for nearly 6 months with a stress fracture. I actually learned to love pool running during that time.

Keep your chin up!
    By the way, can you share your elliptical/bike workout from today?

12. mymarblerye says:

i totally forgot you are going there!! Gahhh!! hope your injury heals soon…if not, maybe more hugs from whit and honey are in store?

Honey is 1 already??? Where the heck did the year go???