Whatchyamacallit

A part of me is glad I didn’t have work today…but then again not.  Why no work?  Cause there is none..but just you wait until March when migration and breeding season starts…I’ll be surprised if I don’t turn into a bird.  It’s gonna be Caraaaaazzzzzeh!

Alas, Vegan Day 1 is still going strong! I was ready for a sandwich at lunch and then realized that uh oh, my bread has whey protein in it!  Nuts!  Luckily I always have bakery bread on hand and that has as little ingredients as possible!  I packed up some vegetable bread with avocado, butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, spinach and onion.  All sided with a fresh organic kiwi.  That baby was delicious!

pics 001

I spent the afternoon walking to the downtown (~4.5 miles round trip!) to the local German bakery to pick up some more bakery bread that they assured me was vegan, and some metal cat dishes for my baby…since I think that is the culprit for her skin problems.  Fingers crossed.

I was a bit hungry after I got home so I ate a few handfuls of chocolate, fruit and nuts trail mix (more chocolate than anything else) that I made and talked running with my aunt and cousins and catching up with my mom.  After I felt like my upper body needed some work so I lifted and did some abs for about a 1/2 an hour, then worked on dinner for myself because I was famished!  I wasn’t really craving anything specific and just kinda threw things together that were sitting on the counter, and eye level in the fridge.

I baked up a potato in some Indian spices and while that was cooking I stir fried some leftover butternut squash with tempeh and spinach.  I had to get some green in there somehow!

pics 005

I’ve never had tempeh before without any sort of seasoning and I actually really liked it!  It has an interesting flavor but I certainly enjoyed it!  We’ll see what I use the rest of the tempeh up for this week!

The night’s ending with another Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin and some good ol’ reading to get my mind working…sometimes I need something intelligent to read to make myself feel legit.  Hehe…Any books to suggest?  I’ve been reading too many romance novels so I want something different!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Whatchyamacallit

1. Anna says:

You MUST read The Hunger Games trilogy. I read all 3 books in two weeks. Other good reads are The Help and Loving Frank.

2. Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) says:

That veggie sandwich sounds so delicious! YUM! I need to try broccoli in a sandwch.

Books: Anything by Wally Lamb. I LOVE his books. I just bought his newest book but have yet to read it.

3. squigglefloey says:

I love anything by Mary Higgins Clark…which are mostly mysteries. I haven't been able to read lately because of all the darned school-work we have. Really wish I could leisure read s'more :P Hope you're doing wonderfully girl

4. Abby says:

Aw, sounds like your poor kitty has feline acne. When mine had it the vet recommended metal dishes too. Hers ended up getting infected though :( Hope she does better with the new bowls!

5. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says:

Fresh bakery bread is the best! Totally worth the walk. Wish I lived that close to a bakery. :)

6. Magdalena says:

I think you might like 'Song of the Dodo' by David Quamman. It's a history of island biogeography, but Quamman is a journalist, so the writing is excellent and his stories are really entertaining (he went traveling all over the South Pacific doing research). Also the 'Eyre Affair' series by Jasper Fforde are excellent as well.

7. Susan says:

Have you read any Barbara Kingsolver? I know you are a nature gal, and she uses the most incredible symbolism in her books.

I'm totally digging kiwis right now too!

8. Gabriela says:

I've been sloooowly reading my way through Eating Animals and I love it. It's nonfiction but super interesting- I have a feeling you'd enjoy it!

9. Emily says:

I just read "The Room." It is AMAZING.
    Other options:
    "Perfume"
    "My Stroke of Insight"

10. Joanna says:

Haha I definitely need to read more and you're right, it does make you feel totally legit when you finish a book. I am currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I'm loving it! Next, The Red Tent! I hear that's SOO good!

11. Caroline says:

You might want to check your chocolate ingredients. A lot of it has dairy in it!

12. mynaturallife says:

Huh… the cat dish thing is interesting. I volunteered at a cat shelter for 5 years and they always said use ceramic dishes ONLY… that metal and plastic were huge contributors to feline skin problems.

@Joanna, The Red Tent is amazing… one of my favorite books of all time!

13. fittingitallin says:

Ooh I didn't think about whey protein in bread!
    And I just finished the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series which I really liked. Before that I read The Help which was fantastic!

14. Christine (The Raw Project) says:

I'm a huge tempeh fan and love creating new recipes with it because it's a cheap, fast and easy source of protein. Your eats look wonderful, whey can be a sneaky little ingredient for vegans!

15. ELC says:

Beautiful meal–the potato looks especially delicious!

16. Lauren @ Spiced Plate says:

Luka and the fire of life by salman rushdie. such a lovely story.

17. cyclicalunemployment says:

what a walk to the market! sounds like it was a fun trip though. I'm totally checking out everyone's book suggestions- I'm in need of some good reads myself
    Katherine

18. kathleen says:

how did you fit that many veggies in between 2 slices of bread?!! if it was me, it would've been a mess on my plate as soon as i tried to eat it. lol.

19. kathleen says:

books: "born to run" was quick, fast and makes you want to go for a run
    "love in the time of cholera" by gabriel garcia marquez
    "a tree lives in brooklyn"
    "pale fire" a book written through footnotes

20. ~ Diana ~ says:

read mystic river. I'm a freak though and like to read about murders and crimes…btw vegan challenge? you so crazy!! You know you are gonna miss those yogurt bowls. :)

21. the actor's diet says:

have you read haruki murakami before? he is my favorite. and certainly "different."