Poh-tatoe, Poh-tato?

[[Side Note: Fear Foods: Potatoes

So this odd thing called “comfort” is happening to me with a lot of the foods I used to fear.

Peanut butter?  Bring it.

Olive Oil? Slather it.

Granola? Crunch time.

Potatoes? Roast em’ up.

Spaghetti?  Still work’n on that one.

But I hadn’t really noticed this until today.  When I made potatoes for dinner, for the second time this week…and not something that has happened in too many years.  I can’t tell you how surprised I was of my self.  Because there are so many things that are finally coming together…and helping me trust me.

I’m becoming aware of my hunger.  I’ve ditched the watch when it comes to when to eat.  I’ve changed the foods I eat.  I’ve stopped weighing myself.  I’ve stopped with the negative comments.

It’s amazing what a little bit of alone time can do for you…

Do you like potatoes?  What’s you’re favorite way to eat them?  I’m a huge fan or roasting!!! ]]

It is starting to get chilly over here in the mountains!  I had to put another blanket on my bed last night that even Honey cuddled under!  Yet, I still chose to eat a cold cereal mess this morning…I’m such a homebody when it comes to breakfast.  When my thermostat dips below 55 when I wake up, then I’ll think about making oats instead cereal with cold fruit.

pics 001

Stone fruits are sadly on their last leg and I’m getting them in as much as I can before there are none left and all the fruits that will be cheap enough are apples and bananas.

The morning started off with some gorgeous views and luckily, the only kind of traffic I have to worry about trots around on hooves:

pics 004

Don’t worry, I kept a good distance away from them.

pics 006

I’m trying to give myself some new snacks that might work better in sustaining me so today I brought along this yogurt I picked up last week.  Oikos, Brown Cow Raspberry and Chocolate has you beat.  The Chocolate Oikos didn’t stand a chance against this.  Even the raspberry flavor was really great and mixed well with the chocolate on the bottom.  Did I mention I didn’t bring a spoon and had to make a makeshift one out of the foil top?  And used my swiss army knife to mix in the chocolate? Oh yeah, I’m hard core like that!

I’m going to be so sad when I can’t see these beauties anymore…

pics 014

The yogurt held me over for about 2 hours before I was starving and needed my lunch!  Justin’s Chocolate PB with cinnamon and banana…This cinnamon is seriously the best because it has the biggest kick when you eat it!

pics 015

I had plans to run some easy hills with a friend this evening so I fueled up a bit before my therapy session with this Odwalla bar and a small fuji apple.

pics 016

Somehow it didn’t hold me over and as I thought it would so after getting home and heading out the door I grabbed a pretty hefty vine of grapes.  I’m like Meghann…there is no control when those babies are around.

Anyways, plans fell through and I didn’t end up running hills with my friend so I just went for a leisurely 5 mile run through town, which most certainly included some pretty intense hills.  Ok, that’s probably an overstatement,but I believe that if you can feel it in your butt and inner thighs…they’re hard hills. :)

Then, the miracle happened.  Ok, not really a miracle.  Just great food.  Food I need.  Food I want.  FOOD I MAKE TASTE GOOD.

Or just potatoes.

pics 017

With a chick’n burger and usual toppings.  I really need to get some honey waffles to make my awesome chick’n, cheese and pepper sandwiches…ahhhh…how I long for those days a year ago when I had one till I ran out of chik’n burgers.  LOL.

To end a lovely night, some Dark Chocolate TJ’s Mini Pretzels.  And lots of water.

And trying to calm down my cat.  She is currently off her rocker.  Nutzo cat.

This entry was posted in Side Notes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Poh-tatoe, Poh-tato?

1. whatthewhat says:

Girl, I would die and go to heaven if I could work where there were horses running around!

Good for you with the potatoes. They're one of my favorite foods.

2. the actor's diet says:

i've really got a craving for potatoes now…

3. Kim says:

I'm along the same lines as you! I eat nut butters like it's my job but I struggle with incorporating more pasta and potatoes. I need to work on that because I love them both! Those potatoes look really good…

4. mymarblerye says:

yeah..I can't eat a real hamburger or pasta..yet I can eat half a jar of nut butter. nuts (pun intended) what our disordered thinking can do huh? Love you chica!! :) Have a lovely week and weekend!

5. Evan Thomas says:

Loove potatoes. You're right; roasting is a great way to bring out flavors, especially with rosemary and olive oil
    I also will bake a big batch and keep the extras in my refrigerator to dice and make into home fries whenever I want. Yum yum!

6. Heather says:

i have tons of potatoes on my counter from my CSA – I love french fries but I'm going to roast those.

I also love a good baked potato loaded with salsa, sour cream, cheese and black beans…mmmm.

7. Jenna says:

My favorite way to eat potatoes is to either roast cut up red potatoes with some olive oil and Mrs. Dash tomato basil shaken on, or to put regular potatoes in a vegetable soup with a vegetable or chicken broth (none of that creamy stuff for me!) Let me know if you want the soup recipe! ;)

8. Jessie (Bites and Pieces) says:

I love potatoes! Roasted, mashed, in fry form, hash browns, whatever. Yum! :)

9. Emily says:

sounds like you are doing great with our fear foods! i just made sweet potato fries with my spiralizer yesterday. they were amazing!

10. Beth @ bride in the little white dress says:

Mmm, I love sweet potatoes! Oven roasted sweet potato fries with olive oil, black pepper and chili powder. Or The "quickie" method microwaved baked sweet potato with lots of cinnamon.

My fear foods are cereal (more specifically Kashi Go Lean Crunch) and any nut butter. I'm slowly learning how to not go overboard with either one. Congrats on your progress, you deserve everything and more! :)

Potatoes are one food I can do without. I've just never been a fan. Now sweet potoates? Bring'em on!!

Love the picture of you following the horsies! Much better view than the school buses I get to see. :)

12. Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) says:

Potatoes are awesome. I think roasted is the way to go – crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside. I love dipping them in sweet chili sauce. Yum! But they are also great to add to soups, stews, curries, and baked topped with all sorts of good things like sour cream, salsa, cheese, chives. Definitely a blank culinary canvas!

13. Lara (Thinspired) says:

Crazy. I've always told people "I don't really like potatoes," which isn't exactly true, but a convenient reason not to eat them at every opportunity. I do actually enjoy them baked very much…and of course in fry form! :)

I'm not sure I ever said anything to you even though I was reading and cheering you on…CONGRATS on your most recent race! PR…amazing!

14. Adrianna says:

so true on the fear foods…potatoes are so good! to think i used to not eat them either. today i ate something i havent had in ages…onion rings! thanks for making me realize its ok :)