Mentality

What a weekend!  When you fill your time with running, friends, blogging and awesome food, you can’t help but have fun, right?!

Saturday morning was my last long run before the Portland Wine and Country Half Marathon on the 5th!  I am so freak’n excited you have no idea!  I haven’t run a 1/2 Marathon since the end of January in Miami!  Oh how I miss these long races!  I’m so ready for it and going to try my hardest to break the 2hrs that I was so close to last time…only 66 seconds!

And I mean, check out the weather, what better could you ask for?

Sun
Sep 5

Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy

72.0°
56.0°

Yay!!!

Anyhow, I started the morning off with my normal pre-race meal of an arnold’s thin, pb and an apple. I’ve had some people ask me why I don’t eat a banana instead like they see most others…and to be frank?  It hates my digestive system after I start running…too much…bouncing, if you get my drift. ;)

pics 001

I had every intention of trying to run slower because well, that’s how you’re supposed to train…get in as much time on your feet, but my body simply does not like to slow down.  It’s actually more painful for me to run slower than to run at a normal pace for a longer time.  It may exhaust me more in a sense, but well worth not having the pain the afternoon and day after.

Anyhow, I proceeded to run 10.4 hilly miles while getting chaffed horribly on my bad from my Camelbak and only needing two Gu Chomps for the whole run.  The whole liter of water was gone by the end though.  Seriously, don’t know how I ever ran w/o water or fuel.  I was seriously nuts.  Absolutely crazy…or stubborn.  Or diseased.  Combo maybe?  Yes… I finished the run in 1:37 and wasn’t pushing it too hard so I know I’m gonna break 2hrs next week!!!  Now I just have to hope everything runs smoothly so it happens!

pics 005

After a nice 1/2 of stretching and showering away the salt that caked my face, I was ready for some fuel!  I mixed together a scoop of PB and Chocolate Spiru-tien, frozen banana, water, and ice and topped it all off with some cereal…freak’n tasty, thick and awesome!

I spent the afternoon chilling out and napping…with the intention of going to a park concert but ended up veg’n out and barely moving off my couch.  No hate, cause I snacked on this all afternoon…yes, I ate the whole bag of natural popcorn and pluot.

pics 006

After having so much sweet food throughout the day all I wanted was veggies! I roasted up a butternut squash, mini potatoes (red and purple), and two types of squash to go along with tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach and chickpeas to round out the dinner.

Best.Dinner.Ever.

pics 010

I had some TJ’s Chocolate pudding for dessert with some crushed cereal before crashing out for the night for an early morning of work!

Work came too early this morning…and it was COLD!  Ok, it was 45F but there was a nasty wind chill and it was seeping into my core.  So what better than to turn back to my nice, warm oats!!!???  Oh yes how you fill me so…pb, bananas and rolled oats.  With cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.  I love adding different spices to my oats!  Tasty!

pics 011

Can you see the cold in my face?  Oh yes…wind blowing over 40mph…ahhhh…only to have more tomorrow.  Yes.

pics 013

To keep my frozen spirits at bay and my stomach from eating itself I feasted on a Brownie Zbar, also while avoiding the red ants and wishing there was a Starbucks barista around to make me some tea…

I got home around 11 but my bestie and others arrived at the same time so I spent the next three hours chatting, sharing and trying to sooth my poor Honey from being batted in the face by my bestie’s cat Louisa.  And now she’s terrified of laser pointers.  Poor baby…she will still barely come out of my room she’s so scared.

You can bet I was starving by the time they left so I threw together leftovers for dinner to sooth my aching belly.

Cantaloupe and strawberries?!  Oh yes…juicy and sweet.

pics 018

But the wrap was the picture of the meal.

pics 025

• Laughing Cow Cheese
  • 1/4 Avocado
  • 2 Slices of Baked Tofu
  • Butternut Squash
  • Squash
  • Eggplant

I took a nap, finished up work and tried to convince her she wouldn’t be beaten up again.  Oh and I went shopping for a foam roller and some more field pants.  Why the foam roller?  I’m afraid to say…but my calves are in such horrible pain today that I’m afraid for them.  I had this problem years ago when I trained for the San Diego RnR Marathon which resulted in tears all over my calve muscles, debilitating my training and keeping me from running the race.  It takes a very very long time to remedy so I’m hoping I just missed that area for stretching yesterday but I’ve rolled and fingers crossed it’ll be better tomorrow…I really hope it’s not as bad as I’m putting it out to be…((shiver))

I walked around a bit to stretch them out a little and ate a bowl of cerealand three mini yorks for snack.  Chocolate always helps the pain, right?

Dinner came all too late as I was hangry by then and ready for food!  To begin with, the last farmer’s market plum I will get until next year…boo.

pics 026

And then more vegetables!  Grilled on the stove top!

pics 030

Oh look at that steam…and the portabello mushroom, farmer’s market squash (you know what is the best thing about those squashes?  No wax!  I swear I can taste the difference!)…all paired with some Italian flavored quinoa, mozzarella cheese and a few pieces of leftover butternut squash.

pics 035

I’m trying hardest to incorporate grains other than bread into my diet (sadly still a fear food) and I have two more servings of this quinoa to get me through the week…suggestions of what else to do with it?  I’m thinking cold vegetable salad with some edamame and corn (like succotash, which I’ve never made myself but had a few times!) but that’s all I got…oh…patties would be good!

Dessert was some TJ’s cat grahams and chocolate chips while watching Princess Diaries…I love these cheesy movies!

[[Side Note: Mentality

This is a two part series about mentality and I want to talk about the dieting mentality today.

Yes, I just said “the D word” in that context.  It’ll be a goo post though, something to provoke your comments!

I must confess, I still have that mentality.  As hard as I thought I had kicked it, there are still things I think all the time that seem normal only because I’ve gotten so used to it, but they’re not.  What are these thoughts you ask?  Let me divulge…

• I still consider some food safe or unsafe.
  • I still consider foods good or bad.
  • I still consider days good or bad.
  • I still count calories and worry about the number.
  • I still worry about how thin I may or may not be.
  • I spend too many waking hours thinking and worrying about food.
  • Calories are not what fuel me, but what will make me fat.
  • Exercise it to change my body for looks rather than strength, and burning calories.
  • There is still the all or nothing strategy.
  • Unhappiness is abundant.

Now as I listed this out I know there are many more, but many of them have slowly disappeared over the years.  But it’s hard for me to realize that I still hold that mentality after so many years of believing I had gotten rid of it and recovered.

I realized though, as hard as I try to get rid of them, THEY SURROUND ME.  I was going through some of my fitness magazines to recycle and they are covered in titles like, “Lose 8lbs in One Week!” “Reduce Inches with Three Easy Moves!” “Eat This and Lose Weight” “Are You Eating the Right Foods?”  I mean, how do I walk away from it?  As much as I could stop subscribing to these magazines they also boast ideas about how to improve your happiness, social life, fashion, etc.  But even then, there is still the tv. Like those Reebok or Sketchers commercials about toning shoes?  Please…Bobbi and I think they are fill of it…!

And even though there are so many commercials, ads and books about dieting and all these things included in this mentality list, there are also commercials by companies like Fruit of the Loom (Go to Our Day Job Tab for commercial) that seriously, almost brought me to tears.  To me these were such real looking woman …the message gives me goosebumps.  It inspires me too…along with the sweet messages, words of wisdom and courage all you blogger bring to the blog world.  You help me believe I’M FLAWLESS. :)

What do you think about the diet mentality?  How have you escaped it?  What have you found ad wise that contradicts this mentality?

And because you are, tell yourself YOU’RE FLAWLESS!!! ]]

This entry was posted in Side Notes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Mentality

1. Healthy. Happy. Well. says:

It's so awesome that you realize your mentality and have control over it. That's great. Good luck with the countdown to race day!

2. Mama Pea says:

I cannot wait for you to get here!

My biggest fear is that we won't have time to REALLY talk before I send you to Gigi's bed to get a good night's sleep.

I'll have bread/sandwich thins and apples (I always do), but is there a type of PB you like best? The girls like Skippy Natural, but if you'd prefer freshly ground, I can easily pick some up.

Love you girl!

3. Kim says:

I definitely know what you mean by the "dieting" mentality. As much as I try to get enough calories, I still stick to the same foods because I know they'll get me through the day and they're "safe." I don't eat a lot of grains aside from oatmeal and bread either! It's just a comfort thing. And I still struggle with the "good and bad" concept. BUT it doesn't help that I get spam everyday from Women's Health that says "Eight foods that will flatten your abs!" hahaha

4. mymarblerye says:

first of all, I can't stop eating butternut squash lately too!! Sooo good..and they are gonna be all over the place soon! woo hoo! And also yah for friends visiting! But yes…I still think of the diet mentality…i try to snap out of it and think I'm eating HEALTHIER today cause I indulged yesterday..I try not to say the world "guilty" (as in pleasures) or even "diet" cause diet means there is a beginning and an end..which there shouldn't be cause healthy eating is a LIFESTYLE. Hope your calves feel better. MAMA PEAAAAAAA

5. Gabriela says:

To be honest, I've only just gotten out of the dieting mentality since I started blogging. For the first time in years, I'm not consumed by thoughts of losing weight. Whenever I get discouraged by a big meal, I think of all the women I met at the HLS who have AMAZING bodies that aren't super thin. We live in a society where thin is the ideal, but if you look at the thinnest bodies closely they're…nothing. I always tell myself that my favorite bodies are those like Kate Winslet. If she doesn't have to be uber thin to be beautiful, neither do I!!

Hope you have a wonderful Monday love :)

6. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

i'm having trouble imaging what cold weather feels like at the moment :)

I have noticed when I talk to david about improving his eating I am working really hard not to call foods bad, but to talk about the benefits of fruits veggies. It's an interesting balance

7. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

oh yeah and i took Danica to rustic pizza, she loved it too!!

8. Sarah says:

I have definitely become more aware of the "quick fix" diets, articles, and exercises in healthy living magazines. I find it ironic because healthy living is about fitness and so much more! I've started paying less attention to them and more on the blogging community which I find inspiring and uplifting.

I know you'll rock your half marathon – your running times are great!!

9. Kristina @goodnweird.com says:

great job on your run! you are going to rock next weekends race. sadly i still bounce back and forth from the dieters mentality. i'm doing better but i still can't help thinking about the number of calories in things.

10. Lisa @ I'm an Okie says:

I still have a diet mentality from time to time–however, when those thoguhts come through my head, I do my best to push them out as quick as I can.

11. CathyK says:

way to go on you long run this past weekend, melissa! woo-hoo!! :)
    running is 90% mental when you've done the training so just keep a positive mindset on race day and enjoy!!!

12. Angela (the diet book junkie) says:

Portland Wine and Country 1/2Marathon sounds like a beautiful event! i just found your blog and already i'm jealous :)

the whole "diet" mentality is a funny thing. i used to think if only i could lose 5lbs, i'd be so much happier! then of course, i'd lose those 5lbs, only to find i felt the exact same. somehow my thinking changed, and i just decided i wanted to be healthy, that's all. eat healthy, exercise, and that makes me feel accomplished :)

13. Jessica @ The Process of Healing says:

Oh girl, where do I start?
    The smoothie just made me crave one like WHOA.
    And the veggie wrap makes me want veggies and they have been sooo unappealing to me lately! Maybe I need to try some new ones?!
    The quinoa sounds so good!
    And wow you look cold! I'm beyond ready for cold ready but poor you… you look miserable!
    As for the diet mentality, I still kind of do the same things. I worry about if I'm thin enough and i have my "fat days" but at the same time, I recognize now that calories=fuel and by denying my body of them, i'm doing more harm than good. Food is not the enemy… shocker i know. But I think you've come SUCH a long way, just from what I can tell on your blog and stuff… so proud of you! It DOES get easier!
    Love you girlie!

14. Anne says:

the weather here in portland has been FANTASTIC the last week and some.
    nice and cool in the morning and clear, sunny, and temperate in the afternoon.
    it's a little dry, so maybe bring some chapstick just in case!
    hope you have a blast on your quick visit to my city and favorite place in the country!

p.s.
    i haven't been ignorning your email!
    been super busy and haven't responded yet :-/

15. EmilyK says:

Hi! Long time reader, first time commenter (I think). I jut wanted to something on this topic that has been bothering me. I've been taking a body pump class (a class focusing on weights) and the instructor always comments on how we should work hard to burn off all that food we ate or after a really hard track NOW we deserve the ice cream. Can't we just work hard because we want to be strong??

16. Trying To Heal says:

Re: EmilyK

That, I believe, is one of the worst things an instructor can tell a class. I mean really, people need to be reassured that they are improving their health and strengthening their bodies, not ridding it of something! If you're brave, I would say something; mention that maybe they should focus on health not calories or food eaten. I know that speaking up can mean more than you can believe, because someone else is thinking the same thing too!

I certainly fall pry to the "dieters" mentality. And you're right….it's so hard not to when we are saturated with it! I guess we can only do our best, day to day. *sigh* Why is it always such a struggle for us women???

18. Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) says:

It's for that reason I really don't like most magazines targeted at women, and why I don't buy them. I've had my subscription to Rolling Stone since I was 16, and that's it.

And I wouldn't say we're flawless. But I would say that flaws aren't a negative thing – it's out flaws that make us unique and beautiful :)