Family Time

Did you see my Inspiring post about Wild Things and Swanky Clubs?  I knew that would get your attention!

Anyhow, this weekend was about overcoming a weigh-in and spending time with my family.

[[Side Note: Weighing In Pt. II

So, I had my annual appointment on Friday that I talked about last week and the stress it was causing me having to weigh in at the doctors.  Basically I don’t weigh myself and don’t want to know my weight because I have a problem with numbers, be it weight or calories, etc.  Anyhow, after much discussion about it I had decided I was going to ask the nurse to weigh me backwards and not tell me how much I weighed.  With the help of some encouraging bloggers I went in with my head held high and ready to do what I wanted to be most comfortable.

Unfortunately as soon as I walked through the door it was a whirlwind of paperwork and insurance stuff, and then I headed into the back for the weigh in and blood pressure.  I was so flustered at that point that I didn’t have the nerve or second of time to tell the nurse I wanted to be weighed backwards.  So I did my best to avoid looking at the number (it’s one of those old school sliding medal pieces scales) and she didn’t say anything, so I moved on through the rest of it (I at least have a healthy blood pressure of 100/70!) and got assigned to a room for the rest of the appointment.  I was satisfied with not knowing the number and then…backlash.

My room was right outside the weigh in area and the nurse was going over the grips with another young girl after me.  I heard her step on the scale and then she says, “Oh, look at that, ###, and I didn’t have to change it from the last person on here!”.

Ugg.

Now that I know the number…well, I don’t know how I feel about it.  My mom asked me how I felt after I told her this story and I just said that I didn’t want to think about it.  I don’t want to remember it (though we all know full well it’s ingrained in my head) and truthfully I’m trying hard not to let it get to me.  It’s higher than what I would have liked to hear which triggered a few old feelings, but I’m not going to let it make my life miserable.  If I need to do anything I’m going to do it in a healthy way but we’ll leave that for a later day.  I need to appreciate what I have and what I can do with my life right now…like a sweet 9 miler this morning in 1:22?!  Oh yeah ]]

Anyhow, after the weigh in it was a day of errands and fun and games with the family. We actually had the entire family there plus a significant other and a few of my brother’s friends to keep the awesomeness alive, not that we don’t have it without them.  Believe me, my family is a freak’n riot!

So, knowing we would have so many people over I suggested to my brothers that we do a taco bar!  Definitely a good idea with all the people we had over!  I made every different kind of filling from seasoned chicken and steak, to chickpeas and seasoned black beans.

002

We also had lots of sides like corn, bell peppers, onions, rice pilaf, salsa, cheese, mushrooms, olives, and lettuce.

004

And of course watermelon, which I cut and ate so much of beforehand I could only handle one bowl of it during dinner!

006

And then there was the homemade guacamole.  That stuff was so good…not to brag, but I did a good job.

007

Here’s my plate, plus a bowl of watermelon and some extra chips and guacamole to round out the night.

011

I also had a bit of frozen yogurt for dessert but it put me over the edge and I was absolutely stuffed.  Ick!  Never a good feeling..but it definitely made for a good nights sleep!

The next morning I woke up with the idea of running my long run of 9-10 miles but as soon as I started I knew it wasn’t going to happen.  My stomach was off, I felt horrendously nauseous and only ended up running 5.  At first I was pissed because I wanted to take the opportunity to run somewhere different from where I live and to just do it, but then realized hey, there’s always tomorrow right?  Hell yeah!  So I shook it off, dressed myself up and headed to the festival I’ve been attending for years where I went to high school.

We walked around the different booths from art and crafts, clothes and jewelry.  But this stand caught our eyes right off the bat and she got some good business from my family!  It’s a form of fused glass and they make for beautiful pendants, bracelets, earrings, bookmarks and purse holders!  My dad was awesome enough to buy me an early birthday present and purchased gorgeous necklace pendant for me that I put on as soon as I got home!  I don’t have a picture of the exact one, but take a look at the ones Christine, of Incendia Fused Glass had available!

012 015 017

My mom actually bought a necklace and earring set, my brother bought a necklace pendant for his girlfriend and I bought two for some friends I’m going to be visiting in the next few months…;)

018

I spent the afternoon with my Dad going a few places (B&N took over $50 from me! Ok, I gave it to them) and then ended up packing and heading home to Honey.  I left her super early Friday morning (like 5am) and was so worried about her being alone (I don’t know anyone to check in on her yet) even though I left her lots of food and water that I decided to head home Saturday night instead of Sunday…sacrificing fur family for family…the joys of being a fur-mommy.

Whew!  What a weekend with the family, among other things beforehand…I’ll let you know about the rest of my weekend, like my successful long run tomorrow!  I’m sure you’re tired of my posts for today!

This entry was posted in Side Notes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Family Time

1. Mama Pea says:

I'm proud of you! You know what I'd say if I had a dollar? "F*&% it!" It's a stupid number. It means NOTHING. People are hungry all over the world. Animals are suffering in factory farms. Mothers have lost their daughters to this stupid disease. Do you think any of them care what that f*%&ing number is? Hell no.

Sorry. I'm mad at ED for messing with your life. You don't deserve it. You DO deserve new jewelry. I love it!

2. Andrea of Care to Eat says:

How much do we love Mama Pea?
    You are so much more than a number on a scale – whether the number pleases you or pisses you off.

3. Katie says:

I got on the scale this morning. It broke me. I want to be 5 pounds thinner so bad I can barely take it… 10 would be just amazing. HOWEVER I also want to run and since I have gained back that 5 my runs are now going great… Since I forced myself to eat before my run I had an AMAZING 16 miles so good I almost cried. But I still wanted to restrict to see that number drop. I get it I do. I hate the scale and once I move out I am NEVER going to own one. Anything that has the power to bring you to your knees in tears isn't worth having around. I hate that ED has robbed you of the life you want… I hate that my ED is robbing me of the life I crave too.

4. Mica says:

Yikes, I thought you were homefree, and then that nurse blurted it out! I still think you did an excellent job recovering from the shock and moving on to have a great time with your family. Good job!

5. Viv says:

great food, and lovely jewelry!

myblissisthisway.blogspot.com

6. crazylittlethingneela says:

i can totally relate to you on the weigh in issue! but i have to agree with what mama pea said.
    after i left the treatment centre i relaized that the number on the scale should have absolutely no space in my life. it's such a waste of energy that we invest in coping with whatever number it is. i have not weighed myself in a long time and i feel better than i ever have. i don't know when, where and if i will ever step on such a thing again cause i refuse to let it rule my life anymore

7. biz319 says:

It is only a number – you are beautiful and have a great blood pressure!

You are so strong – you just have to remind yourself every once in a while.

Glad you had such a great time with your family!

8. nettlenomad says:

I get angry every time I consider how much a number can affect my mood and view on life. Each time I consciously flip my own switch and bypass the negative tide, there's a sense of empowerment that follows – small steps. It's a bit trite, but the folks that know you (and even those who don't) treated you no differently after you stepped on that scale then before. Keep on the path you're on!
    On a different note, glad you enjoyed your family, and that jewelry is beautiful – very unique!

9. Tina says:

Great job on not looking at the number. I'm sorry it still came out, but remember to focus on how healthy and GOOD you feel instead of the number. Focus on the positive things you do for your body and remember that so many factors affect weight, so the number means diddly squat. You are beautiful!

10. proudpatriot07 says:

Good job for not looking at the number! Sorry that the nurse blurted it out after you left, though :(. But don't worry about it- it's just a number. If you feel good that's what matters, and it sounds like your running is going really, really, great too! Congrats on getting through another yearly visit (ugh), and hey, at least you don't have to deal with it, or being weighed, for another year :).

Amy Lauren

11. Evan Thomas says:

Can I just say how much I like the spiderman plate?

12. Natalie says:

1. great job with the girls and all that (from the last post). that is so awesome and i bet you inspired them so much!
    2. awesome long run!!!!!
    3. i'm proud of you for keeping a good mindset after the doctors office. i find myself getting hung up on numbers occasionally but i know it's stupid and pointless!

13. Erica says:

Amen to Mama Pea! You are fabulous sweet thing! Don't let it get the best of you!!!!!!!! Great party with the fam. Yummy food- especially that melon. Can't get enough

14. Kittie says:

Wow, I am so sorry that happened. You are so strong! Your guacamole does look grand, though.

15. J says:

My Dr's office is great about not saying weights aloud. I am digging that Spider Man plate ;)

16. Melissa says:

I'm glad you bought jewelry…cuz a little while ago you posted about wanting to wear more accessories!

Don't worry about numbers. You're healthy and working on being happy. That's what matters!

Those pendants are gorgeous! Glad you found one you liked. And i think the taco bar was a great idea to feed a crowd. Lotsa choices.

Bummer that the door was open and you heard your #. BUT, good for you for doing your best at keeping it in perspective.

18. mymarblerye says:

you did what you did but the nurse totally does not know any PRIVACY LAWS!!! Geez! I'm glad I could help…even if it was me 1% and mama pea 99%. :) You had a lovely lovely weekend…and maybe Honey should visit your family too.