To Empower

Oh boy what a Monday

First things first: I found a kitty today!

1006210010

Boo!  I know, he’s missing a few eyes, and in this picture a body, but I’m pretty sure he won’t tear up my furniture if I bring him home!

1006210006

Poor little Bobcat, aka Kitttttttty that I found out in the desert today.  I would have enjoyed him much more if he had been alive…hunting something out in the desert.  Alas…

I had these pictures from last week that I just downloaded and wanted to share.  I think it makes the desert look absolutely beautiful.

1006170005 1006170001 1006170003

I can’t wait until later this week when I’m out there before sunrise and get some great photos of that!  It is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Anyhow, our morning was wasted waiting for police that didn’t come…I can’t really explain why, but it’s the risk you take covering every square inch of certain parts of the desert.  Don’t worry, none of us were hurt!  We were just taking precautions…and that’s all I’m going to say. :)

I wasn’t feeling good all morning, within the instant I woke up (extremmmmme nausea) so I waited on eating breakfast…luckily we only walked 2.5 miles before we had to stop and wait for the police, so I didn’t exert myself too much.  I did finally munch on a pb and bagel sandwich and apple around 11 and a homemade blackberry bar around 12.30, each time when I started to get  but the later just made me feel sick again.

We got home and did some data stuff and I was starving but nauseated at the same time so I went with something simple: Berry Green Monster

• 1 frozen banana
  • 1/3 c frozen blackberries
  • 1/3 c frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 c USVAB
  • 2 huge handfuls of spinach

1006210012

and to add some crunch a 1/2 c of pb panda puffs.

I spent the afternoon reading my book and trying to relax my belly but nothing would help. I’ve had this problem in the past and exercise always helps so I went out for a short run, that turned into 5 miles of hills around home!  Eep!  I felt great during the run, but tummy was upset still the second I stopped.  Boo. Hope I feel all better tomorrow!

I did some blog reading, read the local town newsletter and came upon the idea of getting one of these beauties…

Precious - Female

Roo - Male

Now, I have never owned a cat before and have a heart for dogs, but I think this would be easier for me in my apartment as it’s kinda small and I have no yard.  What do you think?  I’m hoping it might help with a bit of the “loneliness” I’m experiencing and which might get worse when my roomie leaves in a month and I’M ALL ALONE.  Yep…

Anyhow, tummy was still not happy by dinner time so I settled on the simplest and most bland thing I could put in my belly with some nutrition: EGGS

1006210014

On two pieces of bakery bread, with laughing cow cheese and a 1/4 of a small cantaloupe.

It’s my staple when I’m sick or not feeling well!

[[Side Note: To Empower

I decided that this week, I’m going to focus on some things about myself that I constantly beat up and put down far too much and look at how I should appreciate it and embrace that i have it.

So today: MY PERSONALITY

If you follow me on twitter, you might have seen my tweet this afternoon that I’m being set up on a blind date this weekend.  It may happen this weekend, it may happen the next.  We aren’t sure yet.

Anyhow, at first I thought this was a funny idea, ridiculous and silly because I couldn’t see myself doing it.  Then, I got scared and anxious, having to spend time with someone I had never ever met in my life that knows absolutely nothing about me.

But then, I thought, hell, this could be fun for me and let me say, let down my hair a bit and relax!  I should be allowed and feel comfortable to show new people my dedication to my life filled with running, birding, the environment, baking, blogging and so many other things.  I need to learn that if people don’t like the same things as me, that’s fine!  Maybe they won’t like it, maybe they might learn to like it if they saw what I see in it, etc.  All in all, if they don’t and therefore find it an unappealing aspect about me, so be it.  There are other things we might have in common and if not, then it’s not meant to be/work out.

And I’m fine with that.  I don’t want to spend time with people whom I’ll have to argue or defend the things I love against.  There are so many other people out there to find, talk and bond with that will like these things.  I’ll learn so many things in the process about making friends, dating ,and ultimately about myself, which I find to be the most enlightening thing out of them all.

Maybe the more I learn about myself the more I’ll see that I’m not as bad as I think I am and come to love the person I’ve developed into!

What do you think about blind dates? Ever been on one? I want to hear your stories!!!

And what is your favorite thing about your personality? ]]

This entry was posted in Side Notes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to To Empower

1. Natalie @ cinnamonbums says:

oh my goodness that first cat is scary! but in contrast the second cat is even CUTER!!!! look at those sweet eyes!

never been on a blind date but i guess i wouldnt be opposed to it. even if it turned out awkwardly it would be a good story to tell!! and theres always the good chance it turns out fabulously, then its toally worth it =)

2. runsarah says:

That photo scared the crap out of me! Yikes! I hate those stomach pain/nausea days, they're the worst. I usually just try to eat dry toast and crackers. I went on blind-ish (Internet) dates and they all surprisingly turned out well. I think it makes it more fun to totally get to know somebody one on one!

3. whatthewhat says:

Wow, that's a lot of stuff in one post, but I have to say – that first cat picture is horrifying! Ugh!

But seriously, get a kitty. They are wonderful, and really do help with lonliness.

Can I ask where you live? I took a couple of months off from reading blogs and then saw some Joshua Trees in one of your pictures, I think. I used to live in Joshua Tree/29 Palms, so was just wondering if you were near there! I miss the desert sometimes.

I'd suggest going on the blind date… I haven't been on one, but it could be fun!

4. Jen says:

I have never before been on a blind date, but I say go for it! The worst that can happen is that you don't get along romantically, and even so, you might still have a good time! :)

That photo was a wee bit haunting. Poor little cat…

5. Gena says:

LOVE the new layout!

And that bobcat made me sad :-(

Girl. I go on more first dates than a call girl. Just kidding. I mean, not really. But I do go on a lot of first dates. Chloe thinks I should have a reality show. I rarely turn it into a second date — I'm insanely picky — but I accumulate good stories.

Go in there with a sense of humor (you'll need it) AND remember that it ain't your job to please or be appealing to anyone. It's your job to see whether or not HE is appealing to YOU.

6. Marilou says:

The new layout is awesome!!!

Blind date can be very very uncomfortable, but at the same time they are so fun. You get to discover someone, while knowing that they are as uncomfortbale as you. I'm sure everything will be fine :)Maybe don't mention you're playing with dead animals?? bwahahaha :)

7. ~ Diana ~ says:

I think getting a cat is a great idea! When my bf and i move again next year I told him I want a pet to combat my lonliness! Drs advice it all the time to widows! I love the idea of this blind date! Don't put pressure on yourself by thinking he has to be "the one"! Just have fun and think of what a fun post it'll be! :) btw I love my humor! -mymarblerye's cell

8. moonwalkthemiles says:

Just to comment on the cat idea… I adopted my Waffle (yes, I named my cat after a breakfast food) about a year ago and it was one of the best things I did. I wouldn't say cats eliminate loneliness, but they are wonderful and VERY easy to care for. Boys are not as easy :) But I too have been on a lot of blind/internet dates, and my best advice would be to have FUN! I always reminded myself that I AWAYS had the option of never seeing that person ever again :)

9. graduategourmande says:

I think you should totally get a kitten! Cats are so independent, so you can leave them alone all day, but so loving that they'll snuggle right up to you when you get home. They're very low maintenance – I think a cat would be perfect for you!

10. Jessie (Bites and Pieces) says:

Woah, scary stuff out there! Be careful girl!

You should definitely get a kitty! They are amazing little companions and so much fun to play with. They are pretty easy to take care of too. Since the day I was born, I have always had at least one cat, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

11. Jenna says:

I think you should get a cat. I am a dog person too, but when we were living in an apartment and I had no job & was by myself all day, Daniel talked me into one to keep me company. I love him/them. I did end up with two. They're very entertaining.

12. Magdalena says:

Kittens/cats are really good pets for apartments. And they do well with being alone for extended periods of time, i.e. being out in the field all day. I found Pavlov, my kitty, when I was working a bird job down in Texas a few summers back and he's so much fun to have around…it's good to have a furry little spirit around your place.

The bobcat photo is pretty cool, even if he was dead. Blech to chronic nausea…no fun at all. I hope you're feeling better today!!

13. Heather says:

That cat scared the crap out of me – those teeth look sharp!

I have never been on a blind date but even if you don't connect on a romantic/attraction level, maybe a friendship could develop.

can't wait to hear about it!

14. Christina says:

AAAAAAHHHH, that cat startled me, lol! It really looks like a mask. And, AWWWWWW, what a cute little kitty!

I've never been on a blind date, but I can understand the feeling of being in a situation that's new and different, especially one where you feel like you are out of control of things. I've been trying to get myself to relax during times like this. I know deep down I'll be fine, it's simply a matter of letting my fear go.

Hope it goes really well for you, M!

15. Rose says:

That first picture totally freaked me out. Whoa!

But on the cat front, I think it's great having one. As a newly single person, it's really been helping having Scone around.

16. Taylor Marie says:

Umm, I can't believe you posted that dead cat picture on your blog. That was gross and made me sick.

17. kristina@goodnweird says:

Have fun with the blind date. While it's been a long time since I've been on one, I always used to love the anticipation. It could totally be fun! And I'm 100% behind getting a kitty. I got my small dog 5 years ago when I was feeling the same way and it has been such a great companion.

18. Kat says:

1) totally LOLed at that "I found a kitty" part
    2) Getting a (live) cat will be AWESOME. They're so clean and (hopefully) loveable and easy to take care of.
    3) I LOVE the approach you're taking to this blind date idea! I think I'm far too chicken, too self-conscious to ever go on a blind date, at least at this point, but I think you've definitely got the right attitude. Especially with it being a blind date and y'all having few to no preconceived notions about each other, you can go into the situation being yourself, and it's easier to cut your losses if it's not a match made in heaven. I hope whenever it happens, whatever happens, you at least come out of it feeling strong and confident about yourself, and hopefully you'll at least make a new friend!

19. Marissa says:

AHH! That bobcat's head is remarkably well preserved, hahah, it scared the crap out of me! I don't think I even want to know about why you guys called the police out to the desert… my mind's running away with crazy ideas!

Get a cat! I love my cat. She is amazing. People say that cats aren't companion animals, but my cat sure is! She's always all over me. Same with my grandparent's cat. I love them to pieces.

Poor little bob cat! That breaks my heart. :( BUT, I have 3 cats so of course I think you getting one is a grand idea!!!

21. Anonymous says:

Why would you post a picture of a mutilated cat on your blog?! I really wish I hadn't seen it :(

22. Kristie says:

I haven't been on completely blind dates persay but close to, and I've definitely had (and still do have) some of the thoughts you do about not being good enough or interesting enough etc etc. I love how you're totally putting those fears aside though. Just go with it and be totally you and go with zero expectations. Go with the notion that you're not there to try to make some awesome impression but just there to be yourself and have fun. Honestly it's been the dates that I don't care all that much about and am not feeling nervous about because I'm not looking to please that end up going the smoothest and easiest. And plus, you have SO many awesome and interesting things about you… how could anyone be any less than thrilled to get to go on a date with you? ;) Wow em!

23. Jessica @ The Process of Healing says:

Beautiful pictures!
    So I think you should SO get a kitty!!! I LOVE cats! I like dogs too buuuut I prefer cats. They are pretty easy to take care of and can be so loving. You just have to make sure it's the right kitten for you. I've had the same cat since I was probably 15? I went to Pet Smart one day and happened to look at the kittens they had and he was there and he reached his paw out to me, and the rest is history.

A blind date! How fun! I've been on a couple that were, well, not good… but some that have been great! You just never know, it's always a mystery. At the very least, you'll get to go OUT and it's a big step towards putting yourself out there.

Love you!
    P.S. are you going to the HLS?

24. the actor's diet says:

my husband's parents met on a blind date – and they've been happily married for over 40 years!!!