1,500 miles down…

and 1,500 miles to go!  We’re getting there, have hit our half way point of Houston, TX and only have two more 12 hr days of driving left!  Thank goodness for my mom being here, I’m already tired!

We were a bit late in leaving this morning but I had the same thing as I did the other morning, with the hopes of it keeping me satisfied for a few hours…and it did not.  ARG.

1005040004

Granted, it was about 3 hrs later but I noshed on one of my favorite Odwalla Bars with a Sobe Lifewater, this one being acai fruit punch.  Reminds me of flat Hawaiian Punch!

1005050001

That didn’t last me long at all…so I  noshed on some of my homemade trail mix…I really need to measure this stuff out because I eat far too much of it and feel way too guilty afterwards.

1005050002

I tried as hard as I could to not dwell on the guilt, let my body digest it for as long as I needed, and trust when I got hungry again.

FAIL #2.  I was having a hard time staying awake and ended up using this to keep my awake, which didn’t work at all.  At least the chocolate tasted good!  These wafer rolls are nice and light and crispy and the dark chocolate is just dark enough to not be too bitter…I totally want to try the other varieties of these!

1005050003

Me and Mom!

1005050007

When she was driving I made sure I had lots of reading materials to keep me entertained put me to sleep

1005050008

I have read most of the other Philippa Gregory books in the series about King George and can’t wait to read this one!  I started the Dawn of the Dreadfuls and am enjoying it so far!  Has anyone else read either of these books?

1005050009

I had a Mother’s Day surprise for my mom of having my aunt meet us in Las Cruces but because of the day delay with my car troubles, she can’t make it anymore…so I had to find something to substitute for it!

My mom loves the movie, “Win A Date With Tad Hamilton” and in the movie the main grocery store is Piggly Wiggly.  I knew there were some in Louisiana, so I surprised my mom with a break to the store…just to walk in and being total tourists and take a picture.  Oh yeah.

1005050013

My belly was growling at this point so I snacked on an apple, orange and some of these crackers from Target…they surprised me at first because they’re really light and kinda just melt in your mouth instead of needing to be chewed!  Weird!

1005050014 1005050015

We finally made it to Houston and my friend’s house after hitting up the grocery store for dinner.  You can bet after a day like today I was craving vegetables like mad so I got a vegetable salad, used up the leftover hummus from yesterday, and paired them up with some Protein Pretzels by Newman’s Own Organics

1005050017

[[Side Note: Traveling Guilt

The truth is, I totally restricted at dinner.

Yes, I said it!  I restricted at dinner because I felt bad about how I ate today and didn’t get to exercise at all.  I have a very big problem with this when I travel because I have to sit in a car for over 10+ hours at a time.

I really hate that I get these feelings every single time. I get so bored and end up eating out of boredom during the drive, and sometimes because I can’t stay awake and need something to keep me occupied, which ends up feeding into the guilt of not being able to move around and eat the more healthy foods I try to eat when I’m stable and in a home.

It drives me absolutely bonkers.  I try my hardest to have things to listen to, sing to, friends to talk to, you know, the whole deal…but it never works.

I really don’t know where to go with this Side Note, I’m just venting frustration from today and I’m sure what will come in the next two days.  Well, I mean, I hope that it doesn’t happen the next two days and I’m able to find some balance, but I guess we’ll see.

I hope that as soon as I get home things will settle down with work and such and I’ll be able to get back on track and trying to heal…

I guess until then… ]]

This entry was posted in Side Notes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to 1,500 miles down…

1. Food Makes Fun Fuel says:

Congratulations! I hope you're blasting the Bon Jovi right about now
    "OOOoo-Oh, living on a prayer!"

2. Andrea of Care to Eat says:

I don't think you should get to down on yourself. at least you can recognize it and can build and learn from it.
    Oh, and my husband used to work at a Piggly Wiggly. It's half the reason we're together :)

3. Mica says:

I've read most of the Philippa Gregory–who doesn't love some historical fiction about Tudor England? (SERIOUSLY!) I haven't read the other one though, but I'll check it out for a plane book.

For your HM trail mix, do you just buy bulk nuts, raisins, etc. and mix it all together?

4. Vaala ◪ says:

I started The White Queen about a month ago and it was good…but then I got sidetracked when my cousin lent me all the True Blood books so I've only got about halfway so far. Do you have a favourite Philippa Gregory book? I think mine is The Virgin's Lover. I got so into it that I started doing all this research on the period (well, mainly Robert Dudley). It was fascinating.

5. Kim says:

Hey Melissa, I totally know what you mean about overeating when driving – I do it, too. It's boring and I really do get tired when I'm in the car, so it helps me stay awake… and it passes time. :) I try to bring along stuff I'm not going to feel guilty about overeating – grapes, apples, cut up veggies, popcorn, etc. I can eat as much of that as I want (because let's face it, I'm probably not REALLY hungry) and it doesn't really matter.

Also, it's only one or two days. Soon you'll be back int he rhythm. Don't be too hard on yourself. From a reader's perspective I definitely didn't read what you ate and think OH MY GOSH it's SO much – no way! It was some normal snacking!

Don't let the lies tell you how to live!

6. Erica says:

You and your mama are so so cute! Love that you took her to piggly wiggly :) We have a bundle of these in SC too. Southern grocery stores are adorable ;) Glad you guys are plugging through the trip. Newman's Own Protein Pretzels are totally delicious. I need to pick up some more. Sorry to hear about the restricting/guilt troubles! Remember, you're pulling long, stressful day! Your body needs to nourishment! Keep pushing sweetie!!

7. Katie says:

Road trip with mama! So fun!

To combat your boredom eating…maybe you should only pack a few snacks and then when you know that you are TRULY hungry..you have to stop to get something…or…you can pack your snacks in the trunk where you will have to stop the car and get out to retrieve them. When they aren't right in front of you, they are not as tempting.

8. Gabriela says:

I can't even buy trail mix because of the overeating/guilt I associate with it. I love it, but I always end up eating SO MUCH and it totally ruins my day…I know it's something I need to work on, but for now I just stay away.

It's good you acknowledge your compensating. At least you still had something pretty sensible, right? I get those feelings of guilt when I travel too, which is super annoying because I get really hungry when I travel and need to eat more than usual.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

9. Trying To Heal says:

Andrea: hahaha..my mom is gonna get a huge kick out of him working there. half the reason you're together? spill woman!

Vaala: I definitely loved the virgin lover but the queen's fool was def my fav thus far. can't wait for the white queen!

Kim: Thank you so much for the encouragement. I really appreciate i and it's helping me keep my head up today!!!

10. Gena says:

Don't get down on yourself. It's normal to feel off kilter when your routine has been totally thrown off! I used to feel that way about travel, too. And then, the year after my college graduation, I went on a FIVE WEEK road trip with my three best friends. I barely exercised, snacked often, ate in wonderful Southern restaurants, and thought, "WOW! I've made progress!"

So my point is, perhaps each trip you take in future years will get easier! For now, try to just focus on eating enough at night, even if you feel anxious, and on not beating yourself up for things outside your control, like being stuck in a car. Hugs!

11. theemptynutjar says:

Melissa
    You are so beautiful. And I am in awe of your exercise, etc.
    I feel like things would be easier for me if I could exercise more.
    Maybe its all in my head :(

I eat a ton of trail mix…I measured a few days in a row…honestly, I ate about 100 g of nuts/seeds from bags..PLUS about 5+ TBsps of nut butter

oops !

but i do it all the time…so no worries on u.

I get eating out of boredom from sitting at a desk all day long so I kinda know how you feel! Sitting in a car must be 100 times worse, though. I'd go stir crazy for sure. I think a 3hr car ride is my limit.

BUT….those chocolate wafers and AF crackers do sound good!

13. Katie says:

Looks like you and your mom are having a blast! I'm jealous you can read in the car… I get so nauseaus.

I eat out of boredom a lot too, particularly at work. But just remember that a couple days in the car don't indicate how healthy you are… and kudos on acknowledging you're having these feeligns.

14. Rachel @ WOW says:

LOL, I love that you went to Piggly Wiggly as a tourist. Since I've lived in the south all my life I didn't realize other people would find the Pigs interesting. There are even t-shirts people wear all the time around here. You should get one ;)

15. Danica's Daily says:

Woohooo – you are almost there! I am completely with you – driving in the car on LONG road trips makes me insane. Cut yourself a break and know it's only a few days….you can make up for it when you get home :)

I LOVE that you visited the Piggly Wiggly, I've always wanted to go just for the name :)

Yeah…California!!!!

16. Karissa @ CardioFoodie says:

Noticed you were in Houston. Welcome, it is super warm here today! Whenever the hubby and I make the thousand mile road trip home I eat so much crap on the way there. It is about the only way I can stay awake. Needless to say, I get my fill of packaged goods for awhile.

17. Meredith (Pursuing Balance) says:

I love Philippa Gregory too! I haven't read that particular one yet. I will have to keep an eye out for it at the library.

18. Jessica @ The Process of Healing says:

It sounds like you are having fun for the most part, yay! At least you have company!
    As for the side note, I understand that. I can relate. But the important thing is that you recognize it and you can work to move past it!