Butter, Margarine…or Other?

((Geez, I’ve been working on this post since 8am.  Can you believe that?  It’s been one of those days…))

I went a little different with breakfast this morning.  If you can’t tell, I’m more of a oats, yogurt and/or fruit kind of gal to start off my day, but every once in a while will have eggs, pancakes, french toast or bagels.

I was excited for my breakfast this morning because I was going to try a new product, with the addition of another product to make it an old favorite!

1003310003

I toasted up a Cinnamon Raisin Bagel by Rudi’s Organic and had half of it with some Publix Natural PB and Crofters Fruit Spread

1003310004

and the other half with some Brummel & Brown Butter and Crofters Spread. This is flashback to when I was a kid and stayed at my grandma’s house.  Most mornings, if we weren’t having pancakes, she always had toast with margarine and strawberry jam on top.  I’ll never forget the flavor combo…family love.

1003310005

But what about you?

Are you a BUTTER person?  MARGARINE person?  OTHER person?

I grew up using margarine, specifically Country Crock, for as long as I can remember.  We mainly used it on our banana bread, toast and grilled cheese, but otherwise that was about it.

country crock

I have never been much of a butter fan not having had it very much and actually, never used it in my baked goods either, but margarine sticks by companies like Imperial.  I  might have had Land O Lakes a few times in my life but in reality, I couldn’t tell you if I liked it or not.  I don’t remember.

land o lakes saltd butter 16oz

But I still do have a coupon for this KerryGold Butter…and I might consider getting some next time I’m out.  If I don’t like it as a spread, then I suppose I could use it for baking. We’ll see…I’m not much of a butter for spread person.

kerry3

Otherwise right now I have this Brummel & Brown Butter made with Natural Yogurt.  My coworker Brit uses it often in both her food and baking so I thought I would give it a shot.  It seems pretty healthy at 45 calories a tablespoon…

BB

until I took a closer look and noticed it had partially hydrogenated soybean oilBoo.  I try to stay away from that stuff, but now that I have two small containers of this…well, I can’t waist my money!  But,  I will say that it had a nice creamy and smooth texture and tasted very similar to butter (if I’m correct in even recalling what butter tastes like!).

I spent the morning doing a whole lot of data entry and when lunch finally came around I was freak’n hangry.  I think I was still calorie deficit from that swim and run yesterday!  Yeep!

For lunch I had an open faced sandwich with Laughing Cow Light Cheese, some chickpeas mixed and smashed with roasted corn and black bean salsa, diced tomato and mini portobello mushrooms.  On the side I had some lettuce leafs that I used almost as a sandwich top to eat this beast!

1003310010

I ended the meal with two TJ’s Jo Jo’s, and a handful of peanut m&m’s.  They are going to be the death of me.  Or all things with chocolate…and sugar.  Damnit…I swear clean eating will come to me one day…

I spent the afternoon working outside and finally got a break for a snack a few hours later.  I still have some of those PB and Carrot Cookies so I had three of those with some Crofters Fruit Spread, along with quite a bit of this Trail Mix, AGAIN.

1003300029

I just kept eating it because in reality, I could have had an early dinner and worked with that, but wanted to go for a run and didn’t want to eat a filling meal.  Ergo…a bigger than needed snack, dangit.  Oh well.

Shot off for a sweet 4.0 run in the DARK, which actually somehow makes me go so much faster…or maybe it just feels that way because it’s dark.  It’s the exact opposite when I’m driving through, I feel like I’m going pretty fast but really, it’s the speed limit or slower.  Yeep.

I got home and cleaned up, was informed of more of tomorrow’s crazy plans, and cleaned up to ready for a fast dinner.  Nothing special, just one of those veggie hummus sandwiches I’ve been having this week…seems to be my meal as of late huh?  It works well after runs when I don’t feel like eating anything but need to get in some protein (hummus) and nutrients (veggies).

And of course I had dessert…three more PB and Carrot Cookies…Thank god they’re almost gone.  At least they’re not too calorie dense (80-85 a cookie!).

Ok, I have to get ready for a very long day tomorrow.  They’re finally doing the burn we’ve been waiting for so work is going to be insane.  I can’t wait for it to be over…I just want to get it done!  The anticipation of exhaustion is just killing me!

This entry was posted in Home. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Butter, Margarine…or Other?

1. Food Makes Fun Fuel says:

I use… I don't even know. I don't really. But sometimes I'll cook an egg in grass fed butter, or if I'm baking and want to keep it vegan I'll go to earth balance(no hydrogenated oils, woohoo!). Except now I'm hearing about how canola and soy oils should be limited and part of me thinks good ol' butter is better(and grass fed is best).

2. Runeatrepeat says:

I have those exact same bagels :) Love them.

3. *Andrea* says:

we always had land o lakes butter in the house. my mom now buys smart balance cause my dad has terrible cholesterol.

i have a huge craving for all things chocolate too.. PB M&Ms are sooo good. i definitely could eat them by the fistful lol

4. Jenny says:

Check out that drippy nut butter!

I don't use that much regular butter, but I stick to Land O Lakes… some things don't change;)

5. HangryPants says:

Yeah I love butter, specifically, unsalted. Maybe you would like Earth Balance – it's delicious!

6. Tracey @ TropicalHappiness says:

Hi! I try not to use too much butter, but lately, when I do, it's been Land o Lakes. Habit, I guess.

I'm not a huge fan of running in the dark, but it always makes me run faster too!

7. Christina says:

I would totally make you a grilled French toast pb&banana sammich!

But, at midnight, I am now craving a bagel, yet I have none =(

Def pick up the Kerrygold butter! I love their products, especially the cheese. Even if you used it on oatmeal or something.

8. Erica says:

Hi! Hope you're doing well this morning :) What do you think of the Publix nut butter? I was a little disappointed …thought it kind of lacked in flavor (and usually I'm a huge publix brand fan). Loving the looks of that open faced sammy. When I bake, I usually use real butter or I substitute in fruit (applesauce or pumpkin). I have tried ICBINB recently and thought the outcome was interesting- makes baked goods very fluffy.

9. Jenna says:

I love unsalted butter (Costco brand- I'm cheap & its good) for baking and putting a little over fresh popped popcorn… grilled cheese needs country crock because real butter rips up the bread unless you have it nice and soft already and I'm not that patient. :) Other than that, I don't really eat butter/margarine as a spread… I just don't feel the need.

10. brandi says:

Get that KERRYGOLD, but DO NOT waste it in baking. That butter is AMAZING. Best enjoyed just spread on warm bread, muffins, pancakes…whatever! Seriously. Just have a little when you want a taste of the best butter in the world.

Yum.

PS: I was in Target yesterday looking at bathing suits and thought of you :) So many cute ones right now!

I grew up on maragarine. My Mom never trusted herself around butter so never bought it. HA! These days I buy the fam Becel, but don't really use it myself…

12. Katie says:

I grew up on margarine, then switchen to Brummel & Brown in 9th grade or so. Now marjarine really grosses me out, and I've started letting REAL butter (Kerrygold) back into my life.

13. Gabriela says:

We never used a lot of butter/margarine in my family, but if we did, it was always butter. We keep Land O Lakes on hand for baking, but if we're cooking savory dishes it's always olive oil!! I've heard great things about Earth Balance though, and would like to try it.

Have a great day love!!

14. jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel says:

Definitely real butter, in great moderation though. Land O'Lakes usually. Unsalted of course!

On my way to the Keys right now and thinking of you…just passing Sugarloaf (I get to blog while Hubby drives!).

No shark fishing for me though!!!

15. Caronae says:

Peanut m and ms could be the death of me too! I love them with frozen yogurt. And I tend to run a lot faster in the dark, usually cuz I'm scared, lol!

16. Magdalena says:

I'm a butter fan…my flatemate and I get Cabot because living in NH, it's as local as we can get for the most part. For baking I generally combine butter and marg/shortening because it makes things less oily or greasy. But toasted fresh bread with melted butter is just…mmmmm. :)

17. THE ACTORS DIET says:

i'm actually not a huge butter fan, i didn't grow up with it (asian household). so i don't ever feel the need for it. but that said, i only have regular butter in my house now.

18. Jessica @ The Process of Healing says:

Kerrygold butter is the. best. butter. EVER! Aside from the real butter that I had in Ireland (which was one of the best things I ever put in my mouth), it's the best. I don't use it for everyday things but it's awesome once in a while, especially on a sweet potato..yum!!!!
    I always had Country Crock growing up.