Meals vs. Snacks?

Sometime we just have those days…where meals just aren’t appealing and snacks are more tasty to think about…yeah? Well, I did have a some meals today…just not three steady meals.

[[Side Note: Years ago, this would have freaked me out, not having three meals and a certain number of snacks in a day. But now? Bring it on! If I’m hungry I’m going to acknowledge it and feed that hunger…I swear I never want those hunger headaches like I had EVER AGAIN. So, so bad…

I used to be so horribly afraid of feeling hunger. Something about the pangs, the hunger…it made me feel horrible. And when I was able to ignore it for so long? It made me feel so in control. Something about the control factor made the painful pangs and headaches seem not so painful and worth bearing…

But now, when I think back on it… I seriously don’t know what I was thinking. How could I torture my body like that? Deprive myself of the food I need to keep my brain going while I studied like a mad woman?

Thank goodness I’ve learned from my mistakes.

What mistakes have you learned from lately? Eating and in life?]]

Oh waking up too early to my roommates alarm…I tried to wait a bit to eat breakfast so it wasn’t too early, but that didn’t work very well. I finally dug into the greek yogurt I’ve been waiting for all weekend. How I waited all weekend for it I’ll never know!

1002220013

And not only did I open up that awesome container of plain Oikos but I also popped open my new jar of Naturally More PB…it has been far too long since I had this tastiness in my eats. I paired it up with a banana and some granola.

We were stuck indoors today because of the rain, but it meant I got some serious GRE studying in…which I was hating if you follow me on twitter. I thought I would be ok with the math portion but as I go through more and more of it I’m learning about how much I have forgotten, seeing as how I haven’t taken a math class since, oh, ELEVENTH GRADE?! Oh well, means more brain haggling in the future…please be aware there will be whining in the future. Sorry you have to hear it.

As I spent the day studying I also ate my way through it…Snackface style baby! With snacks like chocolate pumpkin muffins w/ naturally more pb, carrots w/ hummus, apples, peanuts, warm cinnamon heart to heart…and lots of water and tea. Love me my fluids!

But I was more excited about the dinner I had planned for tonight! I made Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins this weekend and had some pumpkin leftover that I needed to use. I didn’t intend on baking anything soon, so I knew I would need to use it asap before it molded. Now, seeing as how I hate vegetables when they’re sweet, like pumpkin pie, I knew I was going to make this savory. Ergo:

Curry Pumpkin Vegetable Soup!

1002220017

I totally made this on a whim and it was a mixture of:

• 1/3 diced onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 can pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 zucchini
  • handful of mushrooms
  • handful of frozen broccoli
  • curry powder
  • cumin
  • coriander
  • salt
  • black pepper

I sautéed the garlic and onion, then added in the other veggies beside the pumpkin. I mixed in the spices and a bit of water, then added in the pumpkin. I basically had it stew on the stovetop until boiling and thickened. I added a bit of water to help un-thicken the pumpkin and presto! Tasty SUPER SPICY PUMPKIN SOUP!!!

1002220018

Holy moly it was so hot I was sweating like a maniac! So spicy! I had to have some bread to help keep the heat down.

~~

In honor of NEDA Week, I would like to shine some light on some girls who have been through the dips and pulls of an eating disorder, but have come out so strong, confident and absolutely beautiful inside and out! And I have I mentioned how much of an inspiration they have been to me with their recovery?

Jenny from Peanut Butter and Jenny: Seriously, one of the best blogs on this planet. How could you not love the way this girly writes and comments. She has awesome support from her family and her Ginge and of course us in the blog world…but she has come so far and out so strong! And who could not love the awesome way she uses Peanut butter? And how envious we are of all her different kinds of pb. I want to rob her home for them. LOL.

Jenny from This Winding Road: I have read this young ladies blog since the beginning and it has been amazing the things she has overcome. She has looked out for herself in her recovery by switching schools and working on her health, then moving back to her college of choice and continuing on with her education with her friends. It has been amazing to watch her shine so bright and provide so much inspiration for others, and myself.

Please make sure to check out both of these lovely lady’s blogs…they are always worth the read.

19 Responses to Meals vs. Snacks?

1. jenngirl says:

Gah you're awesome. You are so good at sharing your thoughts and feelings, as well as sharing the most important parts–how you rationalize and work through them! Thank you for being so honest, as always :)

And thank you for the little "spotlight", gosh it really touches my heart. I would never have imagined 2 years ago that I would know inspiring girls just like you, and that I could connect with them on so many levels!

Hope you are having a lovely evening Melissa :)

2. Jessica @ The Process of Healing says:

I love Peanut Butter and Jenny too, she is SUCH an inspiration. But you are too girl, incredibly so!!!

Your dinner sounds fabulous!!

I used to have those headaches too… how could we put ourselves through that? It blows my mind.
    I have learned to listen to my body. So important. It knows what it needs… even if I don't want to listen sometimes.

3. Lauren @ Reading and Running says:

All three of yall are amazing! Your outlook is really inspiring! Thanks for being brave enough to share your story with us :)

4. Katy says:

I can't stand feeling hungry either! I become really anxious and moody. I become so moody infact that I have to stop myself from talking because I'll just say something nasty! I need to learn to listen to my body and refuel before it gets to this stage. I am finding this tricky though…

I love those blogs that you mentioned too! So inspiring (just like yours :D)

I LURVE spicy foods so your dinner sounds amaaaaaaaazing to me. I will definately think about making it some time!

5. Danielle says:

You are unbelievable. And I love you, as do so many other people, and you deserve it all. Every single little ounce. <- Just thought you should know.

6. moretolifethanlettuce says:

double jennys! i'm totally willing to pull off a heist at pb& jenny's house soley for the nut butter..omg! and amen about those hunger headaches, enver again!

7. Kim says:

I always try to hold off breakfast, too, so it won't be so early. Generally I make it about 3 minutes before. I love breakfast!

8. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

yeah I am a total snacker…I have to make myself stop and consider putting together a meal to really get in my best nutrients

9. simplyrunningonfaith says:

Recently, I've been learning a LOT, but one of the things that I learned the hard way was… -Even if it doesn't feel tight, STRETCH anyway.

10. Kailey (SnackFace) says:

Awww thank you for the shoutout! And YOU'S a boss. How incredible are you for always opening up and being so honest with us? Pretty damn incredible.

Snacking is the solution for getting through anything– I'm so glad you rolled with it!

Have a FAAAAB Tuesday! xoxoxox

11. theemptynutjar says:

hi girl,
    i struggle …a lot. forcing myself to eat 6x a day…its not fun…and feels wrong….particularly when i eat carbs and grains ..and everyone says they are only for exercisers…ugh…hate that stuff..
    anyway, hang in there girl :)

Math? Ewww….

The soup looks seriously good! I love curry but the fam does not so I don't eat it as often as I would like to!

13. sweetandfit says:

that soup looks awesome! I love the jennys too!

I often find myself looking forward to snacks much more than some of my meals, i guess because I like sweets more than savory food? who knows!

14. Maytina says:

I love the way you can chat about food and share ideas while being really open about what you've been through. And I totally agree, sometimes snacking is best! :)

15. Jessie says:

Thanks for sharing how you feel about fear of "the hunger pangs" – when I was little, I thought it was just me that had those fears, but now I know that it's not uncommon. I do try to avoid the hunger headache by bringing tons of snacks with me! I loved your About Me page, BTW – very inspiring :)

16. Jenny says:

oh Mel, I have no words. I am speechless, completely and utterly speechless. Your sweet words really touched my heart (and made me blush like whoa) It is an honor to know that I have inspired you even as half as much as you have inspired me and brightened my world. You are a gem, a treasure, and such a blessing to my life. Your passion for recovery is contagious and I feel so connected to you. Bloggie BFFs for life :) love you so much, honeypie!

17. Tracey- TropicalHappiness.com says:

I definitely have those snacky days! I love that you are talking about NEDA week– big props to you for doing so!!!!!!!!

18. THE ACTORS DIET says:

the GRE's frighten me because of the math section. i don't think graduate school is happening for me!!!

19. ktbwood says:

wow what a GREAT post! you have such a wise, beautiful heart. soo great at getting your point across!! i LOVE snacks-im all about some "little meals" and i love being hungry-means my body is saying FEEEED ME! but i too, used to be afraid of it.