Melissa, I Have Bad News For You

[[If you just want to see my lame foods from today, skip past the italics…otherwise enjoy my letter to myself]]

Dear Melissa,

I know this is not what you want to hear, but sadly I think you need to take this truth and let it help you for the future:

DO.NOT.RUN.

I know you are itching to do it; I know it’s your one and major outlet to help you feel good and strong; I know you love how it feels to have the wind in your hair and sun on your skin…

But, you’re hurt. You have two injuries. One is a lingering injury in your left quad, which you know how to remedy with ice, massage and strength training…but this new one is something you’ve never had and it could be bad. That pain behind your left knee, on the outer edge? Feel how it hurts? Even four days after staying off of it, barely walking, not running, stretching, foam rolling, and icing? You need to let it heal.

I know that’s hard for you to hear and accept, but you really need to. So, even though I know it’s going to break your heart, I’ve made a decision for you:

YOU.ARE.NOT.RUNNING.ALL.THREE.RACES.AT.GASPARILLA.

Yes, you heard me right. I know you may feel like you’re letting down Meghann, or Ashley, or Caitlin, or Katy…but I’m sure they will understand after what I have to say. You have an injury, you don’t know what it is and how it could get better soon, or could get even worse if you don’t let it heal. But taking time off now and giving your body time to heal and repair itself, you will save yourself from a major injury that could take you out of running for longer than you would like to be.

So, to compensate for the disappointment that you feel not being able to run the 5k, 15k and 1/2 Marathon at the end of the month, I’m letting you choose between the 5k and 15k. Not both, only one. And you are only allowed to do the later if your leg is feeling really good and you are 95% sure that nothing worse will happen to it if you run the race.

If you decide to run the 15k, you are to take your time. There is no rush. There is no need to aim for a PR because you don’t have one. This will be your first 15k race, so just have fun with it! I know there will be more.

And if you decide to run, or even jog the 5k, be proud that you can do that! Be glad that your legs will carry you through those 3.1 miles. And even though you don’t be running all the other races, you can be the awesome spectator that you are, cheer on and play photographer for everyone else running their races that weekend. I mean, we’ve gotta have some pictures of Derek running his first 15k, right?! Of course!

So see how the next few weeks go. You still have time to sign up, but make sure you give it some serious thought on which one you decide to run. This will help you so you can run a race like say…the Sarasota 1/2 Marathon in March, or the Georgia ING 1/2 Marathon in March. You have choices, and you have time.

In the meantime, take this time to learn what else your body can do.

• practice more strength training like you said you would for 2010
  • pick up some new yoga or Pilates DVDs or download more podcasts from yogadownload.com and get those muscles toned up
  • work on that core so you don’t feel so sore every time you try a new exercise to work your abs
  • take your beach cruiser down to the beach and remember what it feels like to ride a bike
  • find places to go for hikes and take some trips to go bird watching
  • you live in Southern Florida so go out and do some snorkeling, surfing, or kayaking

There are millions of other things for you to do, I’m sure you can keep yourself entertained. You’re making new blogger friends where you are too; go out and have fun!

Just remember, by taking time off to heal, dropping out of races and not running, IT.DOES.NOT.MAKE.YOU.A.FAILURE. It never will, but will allow you to discover more about yourself and what you love!

Always yours,

Running Melissa

~~

I have been wallowing over that realization all day and it totally killed my mood…in more ways than one. Boo. But as much as it sucks, I know it’s for the best.

Speaking of best, I think breakfast was the best meal I had all day. Everything else was just lack luster.

1002040015

• 1/3C instant oats w/ cinnamon
  • 1/3C frozen blueberries
  • banana
  • 1T natural pb

I <3 oats. To think I used to live off of instant flavored packets. What was I thinking?

I spent the morning putting sandpaper to the body of these things:

plastic flamingo [source]

You’ll find out what they’re going to be used over the course of a few weeks as I start to get out in the field and put them out so they can work their magic. I’m sure some very hilarious scientific pictures will ensue as the madness of the breeding season begins…or actually, already has!

I was kinda excited for lunch because I was going to try out my homemade hummus! I was feeling a bit snakface, so I went with an assorted platter of goodies:

1002040016

• 2 carrots
  • celery stalk
  • cucumbers
  • apple
  • 3T hummus
  • 1T natural pb
  • Even after sitting overnight, the hummus was just eh. There isn’t enough flavor in it (needs more garlic and salt) and it really really airy. I think it’s because I used more chickpea juice than olive oil in it. Oh well, there’s always next time!

I finished off lunch with a sweet tooth and had this:

1001270016

I did some job research and GRE math studying before stopping and having a snack:

1002030030 pear

I enjoyed two of my Super Charge Me Cookies and a nice ripe pear. I only wish my pear looked that pretty. No self picture because it was uh…very bruised.

To help settle my mind that was racked around my own bad news, I enjoyed a nice yoga and stretching session with Brit. I think I’m still sore from yoga two days ago, along with the strength training session from yesterday. It’s alright though, helped get all the kinks out since I’ve been hunched over all day.

I was pretty hungry so I just threw together a salad with whatever was in front of me when I opened the cabinets and fridge:

1002040019

• Garden herb triscuits
    • Morningstar Chick’n Patty
    • Spinach
    • Celery
    • Carrot
    • Cucumber
    • Tomato
    • Sunflower seeds

Prettyyyyyyyyyy boring. Whatever.

1002040018

But, I finished off the night with this. Yeah baby. Thank god I have a boss that’s willing to share…

Anyone have fun plans for this weekend?

And I’m going to start answering the Ask Me Anything! questions next week! So keep them coming!

This entry was posted in 1/2 Marathon, injury, Running, Strength Training, work, yoga. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Melissa, I Have Bad News For You

1. Food Makes Fun Fuel says:

I think it's great that you got that open letter out there. Now that it's up, DONT IGNORE IT. It might be tough and you'll want to do otherwise, but your instinct is dead on.

2. Tiffany says:

I'm glad you wrote that letter to yourself. You're honoring your body and doing what is right for yourself in the long run. I'm proud of you!

3. Jessica @ The Process of Healing says:

Aw girl, keep your chin up! You're doing the right thing and the smart thing. You are listening to your body and doing what it says which is SO hard but SO important. So go you :) Try to look on the bright side… you will heal, be completely rested, and kick some major butt in races in the future.

Your breakfast sounds yummy… I love the combo of oats, banana, blueberries, cinnamon, and nut butter. Out of this world.

4. La says:

That's a really powerful letter to yourself. I like to do that too … thank you for sharing <3

It's so much easier to SAY these things than do them but you're so strong! I know it's really hard not to compare yourself to the people around you but the most important thing is not to hurt yourself and listen to your body. You are definitely not a failure! You're probably going to learn something amazing about yourself and start doing something else that you absolutely love.

5. moretolifethanlettuce says:

haha i can't wait to see what becomes of the flamingos! good idea to write a letter to yourself, it may be hard to take a step back from running but you absolutely need to put your health first so you'll be able to run for years to come!

6. Angie Eats Peace says:

This is a great letter to yourself. I hope you take your own advice.

7. chrystad72 says:

Hey sweetie. I totally understand about the injuries. Its ssoo tough but its so great that you are taking time to heal. Its better to be out for a short time then push it and really hurt yourself and be out for a long time, ya know? Its hard but it'll be ok!! Im proud of you for letting yourself heal.

Your eats look fantastic too hon. I love your oats combo. Looks amazing. I hope you have a wonderful evening hon. And take care of yourself! Then you can come back and be ready to kick some ass!

8. Em Prat says:

that's not bad news, baby. give yourself some time, k?

9. balancejoyanddelicias says:

oh dear, so sorry to hear that you can't run, that must be a really bad news for you. But you know that if you treat your body well and give it a rest, it will heal and you'll be running again. :)

10. Amanda - RunToTheFinish says:

you know as much as I HATED my injuries, they were probably the best thing that happened to me. They made me slow down mentally which helped me get on track in a lot of other areas of life and now I enjoy my running even more.

:) We can find all kinds of fun things to do I promise!

11. Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point says:

dude i feel your pain! no worries. it happens to us all – the only way you'd let me down is if you ran on your injuries like a crazy girl :) heal up soon!

Injuries are tough, but I'm glad you know that they will heal given some time. Keep your chin up, hun!!

13. K from ksgoodeats says:

Melissa you aren't letting anyone down! You need to do what's best FOR YOU, no one else!! Take it easy – that's an order ;)

14. fleur says:

As much as it sucks not running you need to take care of yourself. You may even find somethingelse you love doing in the mean time.

15. Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind says:

Props for being SMART, girl. Injuries blow. They're physically AND mentally challenging. (Ugh. Why does it feel like we're always going through challenges?)

You're making the right decision, and I def think you'll thank yourself later.

Oh, and that platter of goodies look yuuuuuum.

16. Jessie (Vegan-minded) says:

I love the idea of writing a letter to yourself, besides you know yourself best right? In the long run, you will be happy that you waiting out the injuries and gave yourself time to heal. There will always be future races to participate in and look forward to. Feel better girl!

17. Emily says:

Sorry about the injury, Melissa! You're definitely doing the right thing in taking a break so that you can be right back at it in no time! :)

18. findinghappinessandhealth says:

melissa, good for you!! i am so proud of you for listening to your body. i know it is hard, but in the end it really is the best thing. :)

xoxo
      shelley

19. Katie says:

I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating and disappointing this feels (not to mention anger!), but good for you for listening to what your body is telling you and giving it time to heal.

20. Jenny says:

awwww *hugs*.. I know it's hard girlie but running melissa sounds like a smart chick. Listen to her! You have your whole life to run :) (and yes, you will still be running when you're a 90 year old grandma 'cause you're that incredible!)

love you!

21. Haley says:

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you! Thanks for the positive outlook. It's an ongoing struggle..not a quick fix, so I needed your optomisitic perspective. Think long term and chin up!

22. learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood says:

Hey, I wanted to let you know that you won my first giveaway… email me your information and I will get them to you!! :)

23. jenngirl says:

It is OKAY Melissa! You did a great thing by writing all of this out to yourself. Don't worry, try not to be too discouraged and enjoy exploring other forms of activity for awhile! :)

24. Mica says:

It sounds like you made the right decision. (So good job being mature and knowing your body's current limits, instead of being swayed by what you WANT to do.) I'm sure that this attention and these good choices will pay off in the long run, e.g. your legs won't fall off when you're 40.