When Will I Ever Learn?

Remember how I was aware that I was running too many days in a row? Back to back?  Well, it totally came back to kick me in the ass leg.

I’ve had an injury in my left quad for years and it flares up every time I start to run too much back to back…and well, today it came back.  Boo.

I had an 11 miler planned for Saturday but depending on how it feels, I won’t run it at the earliest until Sunday.  Maybe.  I would rather be safe than sorry since I just signed up for THIS RACE IN JANUARY IN MIAMI!!!

miami

Yay!  I’m way excited for it, and really hope to break 2 hrs so I can join some of these awesome girls in the under 2 hr club!

Anyhow, I ran today when I probably shouldn’t have because my leg hurt the whole time, but I couldn’t pass up being here for the first time in a year…I just love running in Mission Bay, San Diego.

blog 178

How could you not love that?

blog 181

I ran the course I posted this morning and enjoyed every moment of it.  Makes me wish I didn’t move around a lot and stayed in SD.  Oh I miss it…

I met up with an old college friend that I basically had every class with when I attended USD (almost three years ago; OMG!) and we went out for Thai Food!  It’s been a long time since I’ve had Thai, so I was excited.  We went to one of her favorite Thai places in La Jolla called spice & rice:

blog 183

It’s small and cute, which is my kind of restaurant/cafe…I’m not a big fan or big places or chain restaurants.

I ordered one of the “Must Haves” of the Month: Summer Rolls

blog 184

And the To-fu soup with tofu and vegetarian broth.

blog 186

I missed the part about the sauce being served on the summer rolls and not on the side, so I had to deal with a bit of excess sauce…which was a bit too sweet to begin with in my opinion…

blog 187

And the soup was pretty blandTasted like water with cabbage, mushrooms, spinach, glass noodles and tofu.

blog 188

I went off and visited some more friends and bosses from when I worked at the Marine Corp last year, and then headed home and brave the rush hour traffic.  I found this at the grocery store the other day and bought the two flavors they had, Cookie Dough being one of them:

blog 190

Have you seen these new Luna Protein bars?!

blog 191 blog 193

It actually didn’t have much of a cookie dough flavor and somehow, tasted more like a mocha bar!? The consistency reminded me of Pure Protein Bars, along with the kinda starchy/cardboardy taste they have…know what I mean?  I also munched on two clementines with it to keep me awake…

Isn’t this an awesome view though?  I was definitely in awww as I drove down the freeway…

blog 195

Tomorrow I’m resting my leg up at home, maybe doing a little bit of strength training and walking to Target to pick up some Probiotics and my meds…and hopefully finishing up my Christmas Shopping.  Somehow I am just not in the Christmas mood this year.  What is wrong with me?

23 Responses to When Will I Ever Learn?

1. Emily says:

My old injuries (ankle sprains on both ankles, hamstrings) start acting up whenever I start to increase the miles, too. It's so frustrating!

I love San Diego! My dad graduated from UCSD, and a lot of my family still lives around there. So beautiful.

2. theemptynutjar says:

Oh Melissa,
    Wish I could do what you can! I used to be an athlete, and now life has reduced me to a walker. Miss it but not capable of it anymore….health and life and all that has got in the way :)….maybe some where far in the future i can recapture it again.
    Kudos to you. Beautiful view. Have a sweet day.

3. jenngirl says:

Sorry about your leg, hope it feels better this weekend!

I've never seen the Luna protein bars, so different!

4. RunToTheFinish says:

I know what you mean about running in great places even if you shouldn't…I hope a little RNR, maybe an epsom bath?? I swear by those for relaxing muscles.

can't wait to see you in Miami! Homestead is about an hour a way, so you are definitely welcome to stay here.

5. findinghappinessandhealth says:

girl be careful! dont want you to get too injured :)
    & i have nEVER seen thsoe protein bars… i want to try them though! & sorry about the food being too saucy and bland :\ bummer aha it looks good in the pix though
    enjoy san diego

xoxo
    shelley

6. K from ksgoodeats says:

Sorry about the injury acting up! Take it easy! Fun new bar even if it didn't pass the taste test – I'll have to keep my eye out.

7. Kailey (SnackFace) says:

OMG I'm so excited about these new bars! How many grams of protein do they actually have?

I saw your tweets yesterday and was concerned :( The only advice I have is rest, but I am not a runner. So basically I'm useless with injury advice. So sorry pudding!

8. Erin says:

Gorgeous gorgeous view!

C'mon leg, get better.

9. Diana says:

I hear ya, kinda feeling forced in to Christmas this year myself! I need more time. :P

10. glidingcalm says:

AW baby girlllllllllll! I hope your injury calms down and you are able to run run run!! I am rooting for youuuu!!!

Wowie, San Diego is GORGEOUS! I have only heard amazing things!! Maybe sometime I can visit with you and you can show me around!? ;)

Luna protein bars?! WHOA WHOA WHOA! I want to try these!! I have never seen those!!

AND THAI FOOD! What could be better. Honestly.

Love you soooooo! Still waiting for your packageeeeeeeee.

HUGS!
    gc

Ouch! I hope that quad mends up soon!

All the Thai food looks amazing…

12. chrystad72 says:

Injuries are so hard. Its important to let your body rest when it needs it (I so learned this the hard way) I really hope you feel better and take care of yourself girl! I LOVE La Jolla. I'll have to check that place out next time Im there. Its only like a 2 hour drive from where I live to we like to go there on the weekends sometimes. Awesome views! I hope you are having a wonderful day!!

13. Jenny says:

aw poor leggie :( why can't we all just be indestructable?? ah well, at least it gives you an excuse to take it easy, right? **silver lining**

hang in there pretty! xo

14. funnyemily says:

oh man rest day is most definitely the way to go!
    mm the thai looks amazing!! i love love thai :)
    so glad you posted this new luna protein bar i was so excited when i saw it!!
    hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

15. Kristine @ purple pinky toes says:

I hope your injury gets better ASAP!! They are the worst :(

16. ktbwood says:

LUNA HAS PROTEIN BARS!! oh my gosh..this is the best news ever

however, not good news about your leg boo! i hope it feels better!

17. Mica says:

Boo! I'm sorry about your quad injury flaring up! That has got to be so frustrating.

I loved running on Mission Bay too! I saw a sea lion!! (OR a seal? I dunno'.)

18. Erica says:

I hope your leg feels better! Take it easy- be careful! I have NOT seen those luna proteins, but now I totally want to try them

19. Nutritious is Delicious says:

I really need to get back into running..new years rersolution?! As cliche as that is..it might just be mine! hah

I have never seen those lunas…although they don't sound too great, I'd still like to give 'em a try!

20. moretolifethanlettuce says:

Hey i just stumbled across your blog…beautiful food pics! i hope your injury heals up quickly, that's no fun! and i've never seen those luna protein bars, gotta keep my eyes open!

21. Katie says:

Oh no, I'm so sorry about your quad! So frustrating. Good for you for backing off, though.

I've never seen those Luna bars! I'll have to try.

22. Lo says:

san diego is so kick ass. I love it there. and la jolla is amazing. I wish i lived there and could run whenever i wanted! Get that injury healed girl! Get some rest and relaxation going!

xoxo
    lo

23. Jeri says:

I hope your leg feels better girly! I always thought I had issues in my quad as well, and it turns out it's actually my IT band. You should try to use "The stick" on your leg to see if that helps. Or a rolling pin (that's what my cheap booty does).