Bad Night of Sleep

I had to be such a ranter, but I have not been able to get a good night’s sleep in over about two weeks!  I keep waking up in the middle of the night, extremely exhausted, and totally uncomfortable…does that make sense?  I mean, I’m all warm and comfy in my bed, but my body just isn’t happy with me…

So as I layed there last night, after waking up 5 times before, I was trying to figure out why I was not being able to sleep wellStress?  Work does stress me out, but I’ve def had worse stress than this.  Exercise?  No, still not sleeping well when exercising, though it does tend to help.  Eating?  Hrm…this could be it.  Is my uncomfortable-ness from a lack of eating normal meals?

Let’s put it this way, I looked back on yesterday, thought of all the things I did throughout the day (activity wise) and looked at the amount of food I ate…then calculated (roughly, which I try very hard to stay away from…very triggering) and simply are not getting in enough cals.  I’m going to try for bigger meals today that I can have when I’m able to sit down at the trailer and eat, but as far as out in the field goes, we always get caught up in stuff that food/hunger is the last thing on our minds.  But the thing is, this uncomfortable feeling at night is not like the normal hunger that I get during the day…no growling tummy or anything…Do any of you wake up in the middle of the night sometimes from hunger?  Does is feel different than your hunger during the day?  How can you tell?

Anyhow…woke up 15 minutes before my alarm and started getting ready for the day.  It’s gonna be a long one.  But I enjoyed breakfast!  Around a cup each of Kashi sunshine and Kashi H2H, spoonful each of dried blueberries and cranberries and an orange…which was disappointing because it was so sour and tart.  Eep!

blog

K, off to tie snail nooses!  I’ll be back tonight!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Bad Night of Sleep

1. Balance, Joy and Delicias! says:

sorry about the bad sleep. It happened to me too many times and there were only two reasons for that: stress and bad eats. Most of time, when I don’t get enough cal, especially not enough carbs, I don’t sleep well.
    And wake up from hunger during nights isn’t fun at all, it’s a stronger hunger feeling than during the day.

2. Erica says:

ughhhh that is no fun! Hmmm maybe you could try having a much larger than normal breakfast and dinner (since all of the time in between its tough to eat?)Sorry about the sleepies :(

3. VeggieGirl says:

Ahh, hope you can sleep better soon, girl!!

4. Terra says:

Hi,
    I’ve been lurking for a while and since you asked a question I thought I might as well introduce myself and contribute. I’m pretty much recovered from my ED, but I still have this tendancy to unconsciously not eat as much when I’m stressed, and yes, I end up sleeping terribly because I keep waking up hungry. I’m not hungry at mealtimes, or even when I wake up in the morning. Just at night I get this feeling of needing more food.

I hope you manage to settle into a better routine soon

5. shelby says:

I hope you feel better soon an get a good nights sleep!!! =)

6. sweetandfit says:

so sorry that you didn’t sleep well. I have a couple weird suggestions that may be helpful – sometimes I have do the same thing and I dont even notice it – in terms of not eating enough. First off, I have read and noticed for myself that I don’t wake up during the night when the temperature on the thermostat is cooler vs. warmer. Another thing you could do is change the amounts of food you eat at your meals, I have trouble eating a huge dinner because I am often not too hungry and also because its so late that I dont want to go to bed stuffed…. I would love to be able to eat as this saying suggests “Eat Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, and dinner like a Pauper”… that way you get in a big hearty meal first thing in the morning to fuel you through the day and then at night you don’t have to worry about getting in enough calorie… hope that helps

7. Meg says:

I hope your sleep improves soon! It may be your eats. When I don’t eat enough, my blood sugar issues wake me up!

8. Erin of Care to Eat says:

I’m so sorry that your new schedule makes it tough to eat enough! I don’t sleep well when my eating is off, either. Good luck!

9. emilydh211 says:

Not getting enough calories may really be it. I have had trouble sleeping a lot lately too and my mom suggested that I just add one more snack during the day, like a bowl of cereal or some yogurt or something, and it really has helped me a lot!

Sometimes I’ll wake up feeling sick in the middle of the night. After a few minutes, I’ll realize that I’m just VERY hungry. Not a nice feeling at all!!

Have fun out in the field today!! :)

11. brandi says:

Sorry about the bad night of sleep! Hope your day is good.

That sleepy time tea and melatonin work wonders for me – i usually have lots of sleep issues.

12. jenngirl says:

I wish I had answers for your sleep issues, but if you think your eating schedule has you thrown off, then I would assume that’s part of it.

Hope you have a good day!!

13. Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) says:

I do wake up with hunger sometimes, but for me, it seems more intense than my daytime hunger. I always figured it was because I have nothing else to distract me from it while lying in bed in the dark. I usually just tell myself breakfast time will come soon enough, and I can go back to sleep. I think eating a bit more throughout the day is worth trying as you stay so busy with your job. Hopefully, the extra calories and nutrients will help. You’re listening to your body – so important. Hopefully, your nights won’t be as restless.
    PS – I always sleep better if a have a snack high in protein before going to bed. Maybe you could try a protein shake or something.

14. Missy says:

I wake up hungry a lot and usually cannot fall back asleep till I have some sort of snack. I will grab a Z-bar or a piece of whole wheat bread with peanut butter which does the trick. It is really annoying though because I do not like having to eat when I cannot enjoy the snack.

15. K says:

Sorry you’re having a rough time :( For me – if I don’t eat enough throughout the day I almost ALWAYS get woken up with the worst chest pains. No grumbly stomach here! Once I eat, they go away. I usually have a zbar/kashi bar and that does the trick. Hope that helps!!

16. Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point says:

hahahah get those snail kites!

17. Amanda says:

I wasn’t going to comment on your eats yesterday, but with that tiny little lunch … I can imagine that you would still be a bit hungry!!!

Maybe try to think of fun ways to bulk up a few of your meals if it seems like you can’t eat more often .. just eat more cals less frequently.

It might be nice to have a big glass of milk and toast with pb before bed … I feel like a comforting snack might help! Keeo fueling your body, girl!!

18. lilveggiepatch says:

Ugh, that sucks! I’ve tried all sorts of insomnia type things, and if you don’t want to go for the prescriptions (which I wouldn’t recommend) try meltonin or Sleepytime (/Sleepytime Extra) tea. There’s always warm milk and vanilla…

19. aussirish says:

hi hun, sorry about the lack of sleep but hunger is definetly something that can really affect it. i dont wake up hungry during the night very often anymore but when i used to alot more it did feel differnt to during the day, more of a scratching at my tummy kind of hunger feeling..hard to explain though.
    hope you manage to eat more so you can sleep better girlie!!

20. sarah says:

sorry you havent been sleeping well, ive definitely had my fair share of sleepless nights this year and it is no fun. I just started taking meltonin at the suggestion of a bunch of bloggers and I love it so far—I sleep much better and have been waking up feeling really refreshed. I got a bottle at Whole Foods for about $6 but I’m sure they sell it other places too. You should check it out

21. Maggie says:

I definitely have issues with food/sleep – I have a bit of a different schedule than most people in the blog world (I go to bed around 12-1am and wake up around 9 – I’m an early bird, but I follow Bobby’s schedule so that I can spend more time with him! he stays up later than I do). It’s really hard for me to figure out what and when I need to eat, because if I don’t eat enough during the day I’ll go crazy with snacking right before bed and feel sick… but then if I don’t eat something I’ll wake up hungry… gah. Good luck with figuring it out.

22. Sharon says:

Sorry about the bad sleep. Hope all goes well today, and I think having larger meals is a good idea!

23. BOBBI McCORMICK says:

yes not slepping sucks I have been the same way too, hopefully your day goes ok sweetie, O and by the way great job on the race, you girls icked butt!

24. Rose says:

Sorry to hear you haven’t been sleeping well. I know what you mean about waking up from hunger – it has happened to me a few times. The times that it did happen usually had something to do with me eating little for dinner + working out in an evening. I might have been waking up from hunger or dehydration? I assume you’re drinking a lot of water out in the field, right?

Those sorts of jobs are tough – I would suggest eating items that are higher in calories (like nuts) so you’re better sustained. I’m not sure if this is something you’re already doing, though?

25. chasedaylight says:

Oh man, I’m sorry to hear you aren’t sleeping well either! It seems to be going around. I hope eating more helps you out!

26. dailygoods says:

sorry about your bad sleep! i hope you can get some rest soon!!! :)

27. flower says:

I completely understand the bad sleeping thing although I make it worse by worrying about if/when I will get some sleep.
    I find some ‘unwind time’ and a hot milky drink can help

28. strongandhealthy says:

Hope you sleep better tonight!