Oh Shucks Oh Nuts

Today started off great, then got crappy, then got crappier, then got great again as I found a nice little package sitting at my door!!!  Sam from OhNuts offered to let me try some of their products and review it on the blog!  So this afternoon arrived my pickings:
I opted to try dried fruit because A) I love dried fruit, B) I’m picky about nuts and am pretty limited on which ones I eat, so better to have some dried fruit I’ve never had before and C) I’ve never had these before, so yum!!!  So, of course as soon as I opened the box and took my lovely pictures I had to try them all.  O.M.G.  Amazing!  Each one of them!  I can’t wait to start mixing them all into different oatmeals, trial mixes, cereals, yogurt…any other suggestions?  I’m up for anything to see how they work out!
Otherwise, woke up feeling pretty good but became quite disappointed at breakfast because my banana was not as ripe as it should have been so no natural sweetness to my oats. :(  Oh well, still ate it and it lasted me a good 4 hrs before lunch!
I made my lovely tofurky turkey laughing cow sandwich on a ezekiel hamburger bun and it was great.  I also had some strawberries with greek yogurt and 1/4 of a Honest Foods Mapple Granola Plank on the side…boy do I love that flavor!  I seriously need to find some really good maple syrup to start adding to thing that I eat like my cereal or pancakes…any suggestions?

This was my view at lunch, just thought I would share :)  I walk to a nearby park everyday to get out of the office….!  It helps me concentrate on actually eating and not stuff I’m doing at work..but sometimes I find my mind wandering away from what I’m eating and other things and before I know it, my sandwich is gone.  Does anyone else have this problem?  How do you focus on your meals instead of letting your mind wander?
I bought this a little while back and decided to give it a chance because I’m not a big fan of coconut…and really, I was disappointed.  Not because there was such an overwhelming amount of coconut and it was all I could taste, but the flavor itself was just kinda, Blah.  Mreh…Oh well.  The only thing I did like about the bar was the fact there was so much nuts in it and they were in pretty big chunks.  And of course because it’s halloween some of this came into play…multiply it 2x’s…and subtract the peanuts…I don’t know why I do this but whenever I eat peanut mm’s I always just eat the chocolate…hahaha…what a perfectly sad waste of peanuts.

Anyhoooo….decided to go and run on the track at the base and it went, ok.  I did 4 miles in 37.30 which is much slower than my normal pace but I know I needed to take it easy with my soar quad.  It got a little soar around mile three but was able to finish off the other mile w/o too much discomfort.  But my stomach had a different idea of how it wanted to act because I didnt’ get a second to stop after the last mile before I had to sprint off to the ladies room…you get the picture….sorry. :|
Came home with a still upset stomach (man, maybe it was the bar and mm’s or that my appetite/stomach is just still on the fritz?  so frustrating!) to recieve my welcoming package!  I took a shower and now am off to make dinner.  Going to be bland and boring again because of the tummy…i feel like such a whiner about my stomach…I’m sorry!!!  I’ll try to refrain from so much complaining!  Anyhow, I decided on eggs because I’ve been wanting them for DAYS and I know they always sit well.  I mixed up 1 egg and 2 whites w/ bell pepper and spinach and topped it off w/ some chopped tomato.  I had some of my favorite TLC honey crackers on the side…I seriously could live off of these things forever. Hah!
[[ok, for some reason this picture doesn't want to load...I'll try again later!]]
Alright, now I’m off to visit a friend and take it easy tonight.  Oh, and ice my leg of course. :)  Hope you’ve all had a good Thursday and YAY!!!  It’s FRIDAY AND HALLOWEEN  TOMORROW!!!!!  Can’t wait to see all your posts after tomorrow to see all your lovely costumes.  Mine is just plain stupid…but oh well.  Simple and I only have to spend a few bucks for it!  haha!
This entry was posted in Honest Foods, OhNuts. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Oh Shucks Oh Nuts

1. Erica says:

oh my gosh! Dried fruit! My favorite- I am so jealous ;) You should make some cookies with them (use them instead of choco chips!) That stinks that, that bar wasn’t that good! I was def thinking of trying that next too. Thanks for the review!

2. Erin of Care to Eat says:

Please don’t be sorry! If you can’t whine to the blog world, who CAN you whine to?
    I’m excited you got a present today. Yay!
    Is your stomach totally driving you crazy? That would make me feel nuts.

3. HangryPants says:

You are going to love the fruit. It’s super fresh.

Of course you can whine. Don’t be a silly lady.

And yes, I do think the biscuits will work with apples. But I don’t know about the blue cheese in there. What do you think?

4. Gina says:

that dried fruit looks wonderful!
    i love running the base trail, too– sorry you quad is still bugging you!
    i also had that larabar tonight. it’s ok, just not the best.
    have a great night!!!

5. Bunny Trails says:

I hope you’re feeling better! As someone who suffered with a wheat allergy for a few years with out realizing it – I totally understand your frustration! I hope you are feeling perky very soon!!

I’m thinking cupcakes for the dried fruit. It could be because I have been CRAVING cupcakes the last few days… I still think it would be a good idea!

6. Meghann says:

Yay for Oh Nuts! I really am enjoying the nuts they sent me, but the fruit looks great as well! ENJOY!

7. Danielle says:

Hi copycat.. I’m late :) and currently in Santiago, Chile

8. lighterportions says:

Mmm Mmmmm look at all that lovely dried fruit. Oh how I love the stuff.

Sorry to hear about the icky stomach and unsatisfactory bar. I have yet to try that kind. I’m still kind of curious about it though!

Have a fun Halloween! I want to know what this “stupid” costume of yours is!

9. amy. says:

I’m glad the dried fruit packages cheered you up a bit! And noooo worries about whing about your stomach–I completely understand the frustration.
    As for your run, at least you didn’t get discouraged and kept on going. That’s awesome :D
    I’m excited to see your costume! YAY !!

10. magpie says:

I have the same problem when I’m eating… no idea how to stop it. It doesn’t help that I usually eat breakfast, lunch, and snacks at my desk.

I would have opted for the fruit too – YUM!

11. Anonymous says:

It may be little, but I love the titles you come up with for your blogs. Hope you feel better in time for trick or treating. And I’m sure your costume can’t be as bad as borrowing the Colonel’s clothes or snagging a hard hat and reflective vest from work to impersonate a construction worker :-P

12. maya says:

i know what you mean about not being present and focused during meals, i had that problem but i have been trying to be extremely mindful when i eat, noticing the flavors etc…they taught us how to eat mindfully in the eating disorder treatment center i was in and it was very helpful. and-everything looks delicious :)

13. Meg says:

Yeah for surprises at your door! Great idea to sit at the park while eating. I hope your tummy feels better soon!

14. VeggieGirl says:

OhNuts is amazing – they sent me stuff too :0)

Hooray for dried fruit!!! BAKED WITH IT!!! :0)

Ahhh, hang in there with your quad, girl!!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

15. glidingcalm says:

Happy Halloween Melisssssa! So so funny that you only eat the choc around the M & M's and not the peanuts! Those are my fav. M&Ms!!

And yay for OH NUTS! I still have a couple products I have yet to open from them! I am a SLOW eater when it comes to my dried fruit and nuts!

16. shelby says:

Sam had contacted me too about sending me stuff but I was skeptical about whether I should give him my address or not. Now I know I missed out!

About focusing on your food…I know it sounds obsessive but I actually started counting how many times I chew my food (like more than 20 times). Besides being easier to digest the food, it really helped me focus on the flavors of the food and now I don’t even have to count because it’s just become a habit.

17. sarah says:

i love dried fruit! it’s dangerous around me though because i just can’t stop eating it!

i had the SAME problem with my run today too! i felt like i was going super slow and my stomach was all sorts of angry by the end. hopefully we feel better soon!

18. Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) says:

Mmmm, dried fruit! Enjoy your samples!

19. just me says:

Erica: That's def a great idea! I know what i'll be doing this weekend!!!

Erin: Yeah, I'm def going nuts about my stomach…i really really hate feeling this way! i can't enjoy my eats!

Heather: Ok, as long as you've given me permission to whine, i shall do so. ;) and maybe instead of blue cheese…chunks of cheddar cheese? people eat apples w/ cheddar right?

Gina: glad I wasn't alone on the larabar…and base runs are always nice (i mostly run on the track though)

Bunny Trails: thanks! i hope I feel better soon too! and cupcakes with dried fruit…hrm….interesting!

Meghann: def yay for OhNuts! Glad you enjoyed your nuts!

Danielle: hehehe…yes, i'm a copycat.

Kristie: I love the dried fruit…and since it's hard to find those kinds i'm way excited. hope you enjoy the bar more than i did (or didnt)

Amy: That was the highlight of my day; i love getting mail! and thanks for the encouraging running words…its hard when you're hurt.

Magpie: yeah, meals at the desk suck; that's why i try to get away.

Maya: Think you might be able to share some of your mindful eating techniques you learned?! I bet they would help a lot of people!

Meg: love surprises!

VG: def going to bake with it!!! thanks for the encouragement!

Em: Happy halloween to you tooooo!!! i know, i'm a tard w/ my m&m's…! what products did you get from ohnuts? i don't remember seeing them on the blog.

Shelby: Ah, sorry you missed out! I know, gotta be cautious these days! Interesting concept on the chews..i've tried that before but get bored of it after a while…hahahaha.

Sarah: so dangerous! i know! hope our stomachs feel better soon!

Foodie: thanks! you'll get to see my lovely creations!!

20. eatingbender says:

I am JEALOUS of your samples! Dried raspberries are my favorite thing about TJ’s trail mix and I’ve never been able to find them by themselves anywhere! GO Oh Nuts!! I can’t wait to hear what you think of them :o)

Don’t ever call yourself a whiner – you absolutely deserve to rant about your stomach! Trust me, we are here to lend an ear and support you!! I really, REALLY hope that you get to the bottom of your pain soon!!!

Can’t wait to hear about your Halloween fun!

21. Zoey says:

That dried fruit sounds good!

22. strongandhealthy says:

Thanks for commenting on my new blog! I read your story and it seems you’ve dealt with similar issues. It’s so nice knowing I’m not alone. Have a great weekend!