BSI, 5k, beautiful day!

So, I actually slept in this morning, until NINE FIFTEEN!!!  Now, this is very unusual for me…I never sleep past say, 8 maybe?  But I suppose since I was out till 1am last night and didn’t get to sleep till 1.30 I had every right to sleep in that late!  Hehe!  I had it planned to use the BSI this morning in my bfast…it was a bit of a mishap in the beginning…the original recipe i used was WRONG…well, the site that copied it copied it wrong…I tried to salvage it into something else, but couldn’t, so I probably ended up throwing away around 5 bucks worth of ingredients.  Boo!  I hate wasting food like that!

Anyhow, I tried two different types of pancakes this morning!  The first comes from Eatingwell.com, I just adjusted it to my liking.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons lowfat soymilk
1 egg white

Directions:
1. Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add
cranberries; boil for 2 minutes. Drain and cool for 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal,
sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl.

3. Whisk soymilk and egg white in a small bowl until combined.

4. Coarsely chop the cranberries; stir into the milk mixture. Stir the
milk mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined.

5. Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat
over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cook 2
pancakes at a time until bubbles dot the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip
and continue cooking until browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with
the remaining batter.

The second is an alteration, err, addition to kath’s oatmeal pancake because seroiusly, they freak’n rock.  I love it!  Anyhow, Here’s my Kath’s oatmeal pancakes al-la cranberries!

1/3C oats
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
splash of vanilla extract
1/2C fresh cranberries
1 Smashed banana (optional)

1. Bring 1.5C water to a boil and added cranberries until they finish
“popping”.  Drain and set aside
2. Whisk the egg whites together, then add in the rest of the
ingredients (except the banana) and mix well.
3. Spray the pan and heat griddle on med-heat.  Spread the mixture
over the pan (or you can make two if you like, which might be better
since it falls apart easily) and wait till it  seems flip-able.
4. While the pancake is cooking take a banana and smash it together to
spread on after pancake is done cooking (you don’t have to use a
banana, you can opt to use any topping or syrup you’d like).
5. Flip pancake until cooked through, spread with desired topping and EAT!

I spent the morning having a very heated discussion w/ my roomie about our lease which made me very anxious and well, anxious.  So I decided it was the best time to go for a run and get out some of that feeling…but I think it might have actually hampered my run!  Anyhow…I had it planned to run a 5k this morning to time myself.  I decided to do it along the riverbed, and run against the wind in the 1st half, then with it on the second half.  Holy cracker was that wind blow’n hard!  I was ready to quit w/in a 1/2 mile but convinced myself otherwise.  I ended up finishing at 25.00…but it could be a little less or more because I just mapped out my course on google maps.  Oh well!  I still ran the danged thing, and if that’s correct, then I’m going to run around a 50 min 10k in about a month!  Hopefully my body will stick it out and cooperate!
Oh, I also had a new kashi bar before my run (an hour and a half before).  This one is really good!  I like how it’s nice and chewy and there is just enough chocolate to satisfy my cravings!
The rest of the day was nice.  I came back to clean myself up and ice and stretch then made my first PROTEIN SHAKE!  I bought a few single packets at WF a while back so I finally decided to try one!  I used the hempshake chocolate protein packet and add it with some frozen mangoes and 1/2 and 1/2 of lf soymilk and chocolate almond breeze.  It was a little chalky at first but after I got used to the taste it was great!  I also added a little bit of kashi go lean crunch to it after I started eating it to give it a little crunch.  Super yummy!!!

I went and ran some errands and then came back starving!  The shake lasted me a good three and a half hours!  I’m def going to look into more of this! But I do have another kind to try, so I’ll try that first to make sure I don’t like it more than this one!  Dinners up with a black bean burger on my last rudi’s english muffin w/ tomato, lettuce and salsa, with a side of carrots and a black plum.  :D
Edit: I had some cascadian farms natural O’s while I was making my food for tomorrow, along with some dried cranberries, dried mangos, raisins and pb chips…
~~
Now I would like to thank JULZ for her wonderful gifts of blogger awards to me!!!!  She is such a sweet girl and I’m so glad she’s back to blogging!  She is always there for all of us bloggies (word stolen from chandra!) and her words are always so encouraging!!!
So, I recieved these two awards from the lovely Julz:
I know I’m supposed to pass the brillante blog onto 7 lovely bloggers, and the buddha onto 3 more, but really, all of my readers and bloggers totally rock I couldn’t possibly pick anymore!  All of you rock in so many different ways; you’re all strong and confident, you love your food and your health, you come up with the most amazing recipes and have helped me in more ways that I can count!!  So thank you ALL for being such wonderful and great bloggers/readers!!!  I love you all!!
~~
Have a good night everyone!  I need to get ready for tomorrow and read up on my lovely book by Jen Lancaster!
This entry was posted in Home. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to BSI, 5k, beautiful day!

1. bitesoflife says:

I love those Kashi bars, they are so yummy!

Your shake looks good too, at first I thought it was chocolate pudding in a glass!

2. bobbi says:

yummy pcakes! I am so diggin that shake too, so thick and yummy!

3. jenngirl says:

Wow congrats on your awesome run! I’m hoping to work my way to that kind of time eventually :)

Love that Kashi bar, definitely a winner ;)

Ooh and I made Kath’s oatmeal pancakes for breakfast this morning too, THE BEST!

Have a great week!

4. magpie says:

Hey I just found your blog :) It’s really cool.

Yay for sleeping in, craberries, and pancakes.

Have a good night!

5. wholefoodswholeme says:

both those pancakes look delicious!! great way to incorporate the BSI. now i’m seriously craving pancakes. i agree about the shake – it does look VERY thick, just how i like them! i’ve never ever had a protein shake before, so funny. your run sound great – i hope your lease problems gets sorted out soon.

6. Meghann says:

Wow, I can’t remember the last time I slept in until after 9! congrats on your 5k time and your new awards! And great BSI entry :)

7. Gina says:

the pancakes look SO GOOD!!!!
    i need to look out for that protein powder- it looks so chocolatey and decadent :D
    hope you have a happy monday!

8. VeggieGirl says:

SO MUCH DELICIOUSNESS AND GOOD NEWS!!!!! This post is amazing, Melissa :0)

I HIGHLY recommend the Living Harvest brand of hemp protein powder – just sayin’! ;0)

9. HeatherBakes says:

Ooh, which Jen Lancaster book are you reading? She’s hilarious.

I hope everything works out with your lease- and great job on the run! The pancakes look amazing.

10. just me says:

bitesoflife: i’m excited i found this one! i hope to try the others too! do you have a suggestion of which to try next? and the shake was ubber thick thanks to the frozen mangoes!

Bobbi: it was totally thick, just the way i like it; you have to use a spoon to ‘drink’ it!

Jenny: Thanks! I was a bit disappointed at first then realized it wasn’t so bad! And you will get up to that kind of time in ‘no time’…hehehe! And yes, kath’s oatmeal pancakes rock!

Magpie: thanks for visiting the blog! i checked yours out too and added you to my reader! yay!

Mi: the pancakes from eating well were good; i liked the flavor from the cornmeal! and thick shakes rock! always the best that way!

Meghann: Isn’t crazy how it’s amazing when we sleep in ? makes my dad laugh, cause when we were younger we were all up by 6am cause to dad, that’s when the day started cause by 9 it was already half over! and thanks for the 5k congrats!

Gina: Thanks! It was def chocolatey! I think that was the aspect i liked the most!

VG: Thanks babe! i love your enthusiasm!! I’ll def look for that protein powder; do you get it at wf?

Heather:I’m reading “Such a Pretty Fat” and it’s freak’n hularious! and thanks for the congrats on the run and working out the lease…i hate stuff like that!

11. maya says:

glad to find someone else who is in recovery and is a foodie who loves healthy food etc. thats great i admire you..well…those pancakes look yummy. and i love your blog:)

12. shelby says:

YUMMMMM!

13. bitesoflife says:

I’ve had the caramel and chocolate one too, and that one is pretty good as well. It’s a little on the sweet side, but it’s not too bad. I’ve seen a chocolate and almond one but haven;t tried it. I tend to stick to the crunchy ones because the rolls/chewy ones are really high in calories for me!

14. lighterportions says:

Now that is one crazy thick shake. Holy yum. I want to find that protein powder!

And the pancakes look great. I’ve never been overly into fresh cranberries, maybe because I’ve never really TRIED to be, but with all of these great recipes circulating now, I just might have to get some.

15. Erica says:

ugh- frustrating roomie situations are never fun! Putting your anxiousness into a run was probably the best way to get rid of that stress! Those pancakes look unbelievable!

16. amy. says:

those pancakes look delicious! thanks for the recipe. and congrats on the run, you are so inspiring :D have a nice night

17. loveofoats.com says:

ahhh a chocolate shake? it looks so yummy and decadent – now i have a serious craving for chocolate haha

18. Meg says:

Congrats on the awards. Love the use of cornmeal in your BSI recipe!

19. HangryPants says:

Congrats on your award! You are a great blogger.

I love how you made two kinds of pancakes! Delicious!

20. Megan says:

MMM Those pancakes at that smoothie look great! Have a great night :-D

21. ttfn300 says:

those pancakes look so tasty! i have to try some hemp milk and protein powder… ah roommates… hope things work out!

22. just me says:

maya: i’m glad you’re working on recovery; if you ever want to talk don’t hesitate to email me! glad you like the blog!

shelby: yay! you’re back!

bitesoflife: thanks for hte suggestions!

Kristie: it was soooo good. i have never had fresh cranberries before this recipe…they were way the hell tart but still a nice little contrast to regular dried cranberries!

erica: yes, landlords stink too. glad you like the way the pancakes look!

amy: ah, you make me blush! def try the pancakes! they’re delish!

lindsay: yes, every time i look at it it makes me want chocolate…lol!

meg: thanks! the cornmeal was an excellent addition!

heather: thank you much! i love pancakes, so why not have two kinds?!

megan: thanks! def try them if you can!

ttfn300: the protein powder was yummy…i’m def going to have it again.